GM TBI fuel filter setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
webpages.charter.net
I am working on parts for my fuel delivery. My question is on fuel filters. My idea is to run a large canister fuel filter/water seperator as a prefilter before a Master E8153 external electic fuel pump and then into an inline filter. Will the pump be able to pull through the canister prefilter? I want to run this to hold some extra fuel before the pump. What setups is everyone running?

Here is a pic of said filter PRM-81794:
prm-81794.jpg

Internal pump with GM in-line filter. I am very wary of external pumps getting hot and giving up during extended run times without a lot of air passing over them.
I don't see any problem with a good external pump pulling through that filter, especially if you have the filter able to gravity fill from your fuel cell.

That filter set up is very similar to the one I just got in the mail yesterday for the diesel 60 series. I am running it before the electric lift pump on the 60. I will be running a system very close to what you're discribing on it. The difference is that it is not a crawler and only runs 7 psi and not 15.

Last edited:
Yes, that filter will work. Did that on my uncle's rollback when the second in-tank pump died from trash inhalation. Running a Holley pump and that filter from Summit. No problems for over a year. The truck does sit and run at idle when we load a car (hydraulics powered by the motor). Pump hasn't died yet. Used the same pump on my TBI'd 2F in the Cruiser with no issues for at least a year before that. But I still agree with Gumby that the stock GM in-tank pump is a better deal...

Nick Jennings

I've been running the holley TBI pump with their filter for 4 years. No issues to report even on 115* days. Make sure you have a good heat shield to keep it from getting hot due to exhaust pipe. The only complaint is the high pitch whine. Everyone asks what that sound is.

I use an inexpensive large diameter Napa gas filter before a Ford pump followed by a Wix fuel filter.
Has been working fine on my 5.7 Vortec for a coulple of years now.
devo

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was hoping others have used something simular. The plan is to mount just below the fuel cell, and run both pickups to the filter, then the pump and a post inline filter. I will post a pic or two once I have it and mounted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom