GM Alt., need help with wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone help me figure out how to adapt the wiring from ‘87 22re alternator 3 wire plug to GM 1 WIRE 105 AMP DELCO 10SI alternator? thank you!

3D2EC0FE-C100-4BCE-AE25-038F7A228443.jpeg

16D629D8-D0F7-4E77-A076-0375DF252230.jpeg

If it is truly a one wire alternator you only need to connect a wire from the battery to it's + stud. Those two wires in the pigtail are not needed.

If it is not a one wire, which is usually better for low engine speed output, then one of those wires comes from the charge light and the other is a battery voltage sense wire. The sense wire can go right to the + stud, but it is better if it goes directly to the battery + post. I used a dead external voltage regulator for it's short pigtail and created a jumper/adapter that ran from the harness plug that the regulator connected to, to the alternator pigtail for the Delco CS130 that I used on my '84.

Last edited:
I might add that the couple of one-wire's that I've ever been around had a cap over the terminals where that pigtail is plugged into. Which makes me wonder if it really is a one-wire?

I might add that the couple of one-wire's that I've ever been around had a cap over the terminals where that pigtail is plugged into. Which makes me wonder if it really is a one-wire?
It is truly 1-wire, those terminals are for charge light on the dash etc

The way that those terminals work is that the charge light is supplied power from the IGN switch, from there it is connected to the terminal on the alternator. When the alt is not producing power that terminal is grounded and the light comes on. When the alt is producing power that terminal has 12 VDC + on it. With no ground at that terminal the light goes out. In the normal GM wiring that terminal has to have a 12 VDC + 'signal' in order for the alternator to "excite" and start producing power. The one-wire regulator does away with the need for the excitation input, and the battery voltage sense wire for that matter.

So I'm confused. If it is a one-wire then it shouldn't need any connection to that terminal, and if is isn't a one-wire then it does need it and the charge light will work as normal. Is it a one-wire that has the option to control a charge indicator light, and if it is, how is the light supposed to be wired?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom