Glow Plugs Light won't light on / LJ73 3L with turbo (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone. This morning I started my Land Cruiser just fine. Went for a drive to the city. After that, I went to start the car again, but the glow plug lights and the filter light did not light up. Everything worked absolutely fine without any issues, untill now.

Did anyone ecnounter something similiar or had any experience with it? Any help is really appreciated.

I'd suggest checking fuses, and also make sure the alternator is working ok.

If you don't have it already, download RM183E. It has electrical schematics for the Euro light duty 70 series, so will show yours. There are a few RM183E pdf versions around; one of them someone deleted all the light duty sections. So obviously that one won't work for you....

Have not done anything, but yesterday I noticed the battery light comes on for a second and turns off. The alternator seems to work fine though..

Have not done anything, but yesterday I noticed the battery light comes on for a second and turns off. The alternator seems to work fine though..

Check the connectors at the alternator. Specifically the round/oval one. Make sure it's clean and making good contact.

Check the connectors at the alternator. Specifically the round/oval one. Make sure it's clean and making good contact.
Yes. I took a look at the connections on the alternator: on the main plug in, the big one, there is some gray resedue in the connections. It probably needs some cleaning too.
By the oval/round, you mean the one thats on the top? Haven't checked that one out. Will do.

I also noticed I do not have the battery, oil nor the turbo lights on when I turn the key to the first position. So that leads me to believe it's actually some connecting issue on the alternator, because it manages all these mentioned things, right?

By the way, here where I am it's already below zero (this morning was around -3C) and I was surprised when my Toyota started right on without glowplugs, lol.

Yes. I took a look at the connections on the alternator: on the main plug in, the big one, there is some gray resedue in the connections. It probably needs some cleaning too.
By the oval/round, you mean the one thats on the top? Haven't checked that one out. Will do.

I also noticed I do not have the battery, oil nor the turbo lights on when I turn the key to the first position. So that leads me to believe it's actually some connecting issue on the alternator, because it manages all these mentioned things, right?

By the way, here where I am it's already below zero (this morning was around -3C) and I was surprised when my Toyota started right on without glowplugs, lol.

Yes, if the low power connector has connection issues (or there is a problem in the alternator), it will cause the problems you're having. The three pin connector in this picture is the one I'm talking about. Some models it's round, some oval:

3e65601309430b7ee18edbdb4bc031f2.jpg

Yes, these three pins on the cable are all dirty. I will clean them and let you know. It is probably that, I hope. It is interesting how everything is managed by the alternator. I've never saw that before.

Thank you very much. You were a great help.

EDIT: It is most definately the connections, because this morning I drove a little and saw that the battery readings where in the low white zone of the gauge.

Last edited:
UPDATE: After cleaning the alternotor connections I noticed that the charge is low. So, next step would be rebuilding the alternator.

Massive update: Alternator rebuild and still no glow plugs. After looking around and testing, I saw that one cable was not hooked to ground and now after reconnecting the wire - glowplugs and their lights are on and functioning as it should. :) What an easy fix.

If the temperature is warm the glow plugs will not light up the dash.
My BT13, 1HZ and !HDT are all the same.

Don't want to hijack the thread but I have the opposite problem.
1hz 24v, glow plugs light always come on even when 40 C outside, and won't go off.
I just hit the starter after 1 second and as soon as I crank the engine it starts and the glow plugs light go off.
Wonder if this is normal or if anyone with a working-order 1hz knows better.

Don't want to hijack the thread but I have the opposite problem.
1hz 24v, glow plugs light always come on even when 40 C outside, and won't go off.
I just hit the starter after 1 second and as soon as I crank the engine it starts and the glow plugs light go off.
Wonder if this is normal or if anyone with a working-order 1hz knows better.
I would suggest checking all the wires and relays first - especially earth.

One of the offical 2LT manual troubleshooting steps was to remove the coolant temperature sensor and check if it is faulty. When removed, the glowplugs light should always stay on since it is not getting any readings from the temperature of the engine.

I would suggest checking all the wires and relays first - especially earth.

One of the offical 2LT manual troubleshooting steps was to remove the coolant temperature sensor and check if it is faulty. When removed, the glowplugs light should always stay on since it is not getting any readings from the temperature of the engine.
Good call
I also should be less lazy and look up in the 1hz service manual.
Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom