Glow plug time? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I live in So Cal and I just realized that I wasn't using my glow plugs at all.
I thought it worked like it does in my truck (I know the truck doesn't use glow plugs but I thought the sequence might be the same), I was wrong.
I noticed that the ignition had a "glow" position on it. So by turning the key backwards I am engaging the glow plugs.
There is a light that comes on after a while (actually a resistor that eventually lights) is that when the plugs are warm enough?
It does seem to start a little better now although it wasn't bad before.

Thanks in advance,

PeterC

You'll need to specify the truck you have. Not all work the same way.

Yours glows as long as you hold the key in the "Glow" position. In the cold (skiing in Tahoe) maybe 20-30 seconds, in SoCal maybe just the time for the glow resistor to come on.

My truck is timed and I let it go through two timed cycles when it's cold (less than 0 F) otherwise one cycle is sufficient.

The factory engine manual suggests "15-30 seconds" for the slow-heating type of glow plugs. On the lder systems there is a 'glow plug controller' which is a light that comes on after the glow plugs have reached the right temperature. The controller is a coiled wire in back with a perforated mesh light cover on front.

Thanks

I found out about the coil the other day. I thought the hole was for the alarm bell that goes off when I go over 100km. Glad to see that I do have the light.
It does seem to start better early in the morning, now that I am using the glow plugs.
Thanks all for your answers.

PeterC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom