Glow Plug part # - Im confused (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i want replace my glow plugs; pulled them to get the part # and found PT-142 16v. Go to Lordco and the only plug they list is a 10.5 v. I did a bunch of research on this forum and i am now totally confused. Now im not sure if i have a 12 or 24 volt system, if i have superglow or not and if the PO installed a wilson switch.
I have a 1985 BJ60 - 3B, live in Canada (which apparently makes a difference 12v/24v), there are 2 batteries in my truck, there is a button that does not appear in the owners manual that is on my dash and when it is depressed the voltage drops (wilson switch?) Ahhhh!!! so i gues my questions are is it a 24 or 12 v system, is it a wilson switch, and what glow plug should i use.

..Now im not sure if i have a 12 or 24 volt system, if i have superglow or not and if the PO installed a wilson switch.........

Are your batteries connected in series (to give 24V) or in parallel (for 12V) ? (To be using 16V plugs I think they MUST be in series because such plugs would never heat up on 12V!)

And if your vehicle has had its wiring modified, you'll need to work out what's been done somehow.

AFAIK 16V plugs are not "stock" for any 3B and neither are they a common choice for a "Wison Switch" modification.

In a 1985 BJ60 think you should be running 10.5V plugs if it is 12V and 23V plugs if it is 24V

(You'll need to find out whether you have a 12V or 24V cruiser. And that button sounds like it is a "Wilson Switch" but you really need to find out how it has been wired to be sure that you're buying the right plugs. But then again, if those PT142 plugs were working fine - I'm sure you'll be able to get replacements on the Internet.)
:cheers:

Oops. Just found that some 1985 BJ60s "for other markets" got superglow and 6V plugs.

And God only knows what Canada got!

(I should actually refrain from answering questions relating to Canadian cruisers - Sorry)

Last edited:
I just did a few searches for PT142 plugs. (No time to do any more - Sorry)

I couldn't find any available from searching for about 10 minutes but one site reckoned PT142 were the same as PT105 plugs (which just so happen to be 23V plugs). Are you sure they are 16V?

www.karmot.com reckon PT142 were used in a Toyota Hiace L engine?

Anyway - Happy searching.....

Here's an image from karmot that raises questions (within me) about the dimensions:
PT142image.jpg

PT142image.jpg

A Canadian spec BJ60 is 12 V. You need 10.5 V glow plugs if you're running a manual glow ("Wilson switch") system instead of the super-glow system.

~John

The batteries are connected in parallel, so the system is 12V. The button is spliced into the pre-heating timer located under the fuse panel on the drivers side (28521-57060). I assume this is indeed a wilson switch; so i gues the question is do i go with a 10.5 plug or try and find something similar to what is in there? Why would there be a 16v plug in there?

I assume this is indeed a wilson switch; so i gues the question is do i go with a 10.5 plug or try and find something similar to what is in there? Why would there be a 16v plug in there?

You go with the 10.5v plug as John at "RaddCruisers" is saying. My FJ55 uses an '81 BJ60 wiring harness which was the year that did NOT have the "Superglow" system. It has the 10.5v glow plugs and works just fine.

Did some more digging around in the P.O. reciepts and found that the glow timer unit was defective so they installed a cole hersey switch to manually switch on the glow plugs (Wilson Switch). Now if I install the 10.5V plugs instead of the 16V (which are currently in the truck) is there any chance of something getting cooked? (i.e., electrical).

Should not be, as your system is 12V and you will be using 10.5V plugs. Just don't hold them on too long. Nice thing about the manual system is you can feather the glow if it does need just a little more to run smoothly on those cold mornings. Start at 5 seconds glow, moving up in 5 second increments, till you find the time you need for differing temps. Once it's been running, you should not require much, if any, glow for the rest of the day in these lower mainland mild temps.

These plugs (10.5V) should take between 10 and 20 seconds to light depending on ambient temps.

~John

... Why would there be a 16v plug in there?

Good question. :hmm: Maybe that plug (you read the details off) is just "an odd man out" that the PO found somewhere and threw in to replace a dud one of the correct specification? (In the belief that having a 16V plug there was better than having an open-circuited one.)

I wouldn't have expected four 16V plugs to work on a 12V cruiser. (Well - maybe they might so long as you gave them something like 2 minutes of glow-time!)

And that karmot website suggests the plug dimensions may be a little wonky too. (I think your plugs should look like the PT145 plug pictured there - and that is actually the 10.5V plug that people say you should be running too.)

Last edited:
So the plot thickens.... Called my friend at the local Toyota dealership and told him my dilema. He looked up the year, model, etc.. and talked to one of the mec's that is familiar with LC's and apparently the trucks came stock with 16v plugs. WTF? The plugs from Toyota are $44 CAD each.

So what is the worst that could happen if I install 10.5v plugs (besides being out $80)?

I took it from your handle you are in BC, Canada and this is a Canadian Spec 1985 BJ60. Is that correct? If so you need to find a new parts person.

The 1985 Cdn Spec BJ60 came with the superglow system, which requires the 6.0V plugs:

Toyota=19850-68050 (51) 12V-6V
Nippon Denso=067100-1680

If you have the Wilson switch, the superglow system has been bypassed, and you should use the 10.5V for a 12V Cruiser:

Toyota=19850-68010 12V-10.5V
Nippon Denso=067100-1330

There should be no issues using these plugs, assuming the bypass system is in place.

So the plot thickens.... Called my friend at the local Toyota dealership and told him my dilema. He looked up the year, model, etc.. and talked to one of the mec's that is familiar with LC's and apparently the trucks came stock with 16v plugs. WTF? The plugs from Toyota are $44 CAD each.

So what is the worst that could happen if I install 10.5v plugs (besides being out $80)?

How did the old 16V plugs perform?

Lower glowplug voltage ratings shorten glow times by increasing current flow. And higher currents do obviously have the potential to cause damage so I think you DO need to be careful/wary.

(We don't know what the PO has done to your wiring - if anything.)

But I still don't see how 16V plugs could have worked at all without the circuit through them passing through BOTH BATTERIES IN SERIES.....and even then, there would need to be something like "a glow controller" in the circuit to drop the voltage to plugs (from 24V - which would otherwise frizzle them - to somewhere around 16V).

I have never heard of a vehicle's glowplugs having a voltage rating higher than that vehicle's available "power supply voltage".

And please (if you can) post up a photo of these PT142 plugs so we can get an idea of their shape/dimensions? (And why not pictures of the engine bay too while you're at it?)

I took it from your handle you are in BC, Canada and this is a Canadian Spec 1985 BJ60. Is that correct? If so you need to find a new parts person.

The 1985 Cdn Spec BJ60 came with the superglow system, which requires the 6.0V plugs:

Toyota=19850-68050 (51) 12V-6V
Nippon Denso=067100-1680

If you have the Wilson switch, the superglow system has been bypassed, and you should use the 10.5V for a 12V Cruiser:

Toyota=19850-68010 12V-10.5V
Nippon Denso=067100-1330

Yes. Those are certainly the plug specifications that I'd expect to see used on a 3B engine in a 12 Volt cruiser that has "superglow" or that has "manual glow without glow controller".

PS. I can't recall seeing 16V plugs specified for any 3B engine so, like Greg, I find it hard to believe what you've been told by your local Toyota people. (But perhaps, since Canada has that weird "12V bulbs in a 24V cruiser" business - then maybe your authorities decided they wanted 16V plugs too - and created a BJ60 model-variation for it. :rolleyes:)

Here are some photos including the glow plug, engine bay, and glow bypass. The plugs are definately Pt-142 16v..... so now what?
Picture 017.jpg
Picture 016.jpg
Picture 019.jpg

Here are some photos including the glow plug, engine bay, and glow bypass. The plugs are definately Pt-142 16v..... so now what?

Dunno! (I'm baffled.)

I wonder what your fellow Canadians think.

Your photo shows that your PT142 plugs are indeed the same shape we saw in that Karmot image I posted. Whereas the PT145 shape is what I'd expect you to be running (with longer reach, shorter thread, and a "shoulder" above the thread).

When I get home - I'll see if I can do a search on that number I see on the your glow timer.

PS. The wiring loom around the timer (I think I see the word "timer" - but it is difficult to read) looks to be wrapped in electrical tape and the timer itself looks new. So it appears work/modifications may have been done.

Last edited:
Yup thats right, it says pre heating timer and the number is 28521-57060. The tape is around where the PO has spliced in the Wilson Switch.

How did the old 16V plugs perform?...)

You still haven't answered my question here about whether your vehicle starts OK with those 16V plugs.

Yup thats right, it says pre heating timer and the number is 28521-57060. The tape is around where the PO has spliced in the Wilson Switch.

Assuming it doesn't start OK with the 16V plugs. And assuming I don't find out anything useful (which is likely) when I get back home tomorrow (to search the EPC data). --- Then if I was you I'd be inclined to buy 10.5V plugs (HKT 145 for example) as replacements (like everyone else has been advising).

PS. I'm surprised those PT142 16V plugs seated/sealed properly - But then again, I must admit I've never studied what part of the plug performs the seating/sealing function.

Edit - next day...... Had a good look at the EPC. I can find evidence there of Toyota using 6V, 7V, 8.5V, 10.5V, 11V, 14V, 20.5V and 23V plugs but no evidence of them EVER using 16V plugs. (Despite Karmot listing that plug as having been used on a Hiace.) And searching the timer doesn't reveal anything - except that it is expensive to replace :D)

Last edited:
There is no Toyota diesel application in which a 12v. based glow system uses 16v. plugs, as far as I know.

Based on your description, 10.5v plugs are the correct ones for your application, taking 20 seconds or so to reach full temp in a manual system such as you have. There is no danger of you frying anything in your electrical system by installing 10.5 volt plugs.

Being a 1985, your truck would have been a 12v. truck with Superglow, then you would be looking for a 6v. glow plug. However, you can't use a 6v. plug in a manually-operated glow system as the chance of frying the plugs by leaving them on too long (they reach full temperature in 1~2 seconds) would be too high.

If you use a manual switching system for glow, then you only need one glow relay to be wired up, and the timer is also superfluous.

By the way, using 16 volt plugs in a 12v. system would require a ridiculously long glow cycle, more than a minute I would imagine, possibly several, before the plugs got hot enough. You need to find a different parts guy, because the one that told you to use 16v. plugs is plain wrong.

Last edited:
The picture of the posted glow plug (PT142) is not the correct part for the application....

Put the right ones in for what you want to do, and it will work a lot better.

~John

To answer the question "how does the vehicle start with the 16v plugs"? It started fine for the last two years, but after this cold winter here in BC i started finding myself have to initiate the glow for a minute or more to get the thing to start. I was also noticing more smoke than usual at start up. I will try installing some 10.5 v plugs in the next couple of days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom