Glad it was still under warranty - barely (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I first noticed a slight stumble at idle when stopping at a stop light. No check engine light. Thought I might have picked up some bad fuel or something. In a day or two the check engine light did come on, so a friend scoped it with his DIY gadget and it came up with a problem at the #2 cylinder. Of course that cleared the check engine light but later that day while driving the engine shuddered and began running rough. Check engine light now flashing, along with traction control and 4LO lighting steady. I was only 2 miles from the dealership and babied it there. After checking all the "outside" possibilities and eliminating them they said the next step is to pull the valve cover and get into it further. But, they said, the "good news" is that you have about 900 miles left on the 60K mile engine/powertrain warranty so if it's an internal issue it will be covered. I said well, if you've eliminated anything external then what else can it be? Anyway what they found was that the roller rocker malfunctioned and lifter seized, scoring the camshaft. They replaced the lifters, rocker arm and camshaft. Service manager said it would have been around $4K had it not been covered. Makes me a little paranoid about something like this happening again. The wild thing is that we had just come back from a 1,500 mile road trip and I hate to think what it would have been like if this had happened during that.

What year/model do you have? This is the first failure of this type I've read. Great that it was still under warranty and not on the big road trip

I think it’s a ‘72 Ford Pinto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom