Get the steering wheel off! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone got a tip for getting the horn cover off the steering wheel?
I can't get the screws off the back of the wheel that hold on the horn pad.
Getting something in with enough pressure to grip the screws seems almost impossible, so any suggestion on a tool or maybe a technique of getting a short screwdriver with enough pressure on it?
Just not enough room, and not able to get the sort of pressure onto the screws without stripping out the head.

I just want to replace the horn spring........

how about a pic of the wheel, 85 US wheel is different than an 85 OZ wheel.

If it’s a standard 60 wheel you can pry the center cap (LandCruiser name) off and remove the 19mm bolt. Then pull the wheel and you can work on it outside of the truck

They're not in there that tight. Use a shorty screwdriver or one of these offset screwdrivers

1645021565667.png

Reactions: OSS
Those little buggers were really stuck on mine and are really prone to stripping. I have a set of Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) screwdrivers from Vessel that really hold well and have less of a tendency to "cam out" under pressure. Get thee a set. Also apply some penetrating lube and let it soak in before attacking.

Mine were previously mangled so I swapped mine out for some allen head screws.

Good point. Sorry.
1985 FJ62, RHD Aussie delivered.
Here is a pic (I hope!)
There are 4 screws on the back, and they are tight as tight can be. I will try some spray, and one of those pictured screwdrivers - I have one in my kit.

20220217_113802.jpg

Anyone got a tip for getting the horn cover off the steering wheel?
I can't get the screws off the back of the wheel that hold on the horn pad.
Getting something in with enough pressure to grip the screws seems almost impossible, so any suggestion on a tool or maybe a technique of getting a short screwdriver with enough pressure on it?
Just not enough room, and not able to get the sort of pressure onto the screws without stripping out the head.

I just want to replace the horn spring........
No screws required. Just pop it off, it’s held in when the cover slightly expands over the edge.

Cool. Thanks guys.
The cover is very firm so I assumed it was screwed in. Those screws are obviously for the backing plate that holds it to the wheel then....
Just so I can get the wheel off to replace the piston and spring.....
I can make anything way more complicated than it needs to be....🤣

The old saying ' Nothing worth attempting once, that doesn't take 3 tries to succeed '

Once you get the cover off and you remove the retaining nut…..no need to use a pulled or try to brute force the wheel off. Just use a fist or palm to hit the wheel at the 3 and 9 positions altering hits. A couple good hits should free it from the splines and come off easily.

I have whacked myself in the face with a steering wheel or two in my time.... :rofl: :rofl:
(I have learned the trick of leaving the nut a few threads on.....)

Yep, leave that nut on while you’re trying to remove the wheel & you will have a good day, don’t leave it on & you might not have a good day.

Finally got around to it.
Horn pad clicked off, nut came off easily (but not too easily - it was tight.)
I then proceeded to make the remainder of the job harder than it needed to do.
No needlenose pliers to get the clip off the horn piston, so I fussed around with screwdrivers, and anything else I could find....
Didn't help that I tried to do it with the stalk mechanism still in place, because I didn't want to undo all the screws to get the wiring off - which I ended up doing anyway of course, but not before I shot the old clip and spring into who knows where in the interior of the car........
Good thing the new piston also came with a spring and retaining clip. Until I sprang the new spring to somewhere into the interior of the car, and then proceeded to enact a search and rescue mission with ne real idea of where to start. Just about to give up and stepped back only to find it sitting in the door sill......
Anyways...........
Finally got it all back together. You should see the difference between the old and new pistons - I shoulda taken a photo I guess, but the new piston head was about 10mm (3/8th "???), but the old piston head was was only about 2mm deep. No wonder these things stop working, but it lasted 30 odd years, so can't really complain....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom