1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Generator Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Power Systems' started by Scamper, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Scamper

Scamper

Does anyone here have knowledge of these little buggers?

I'm not looking for a big or commercial grade, but don't want to waste money on junk either (no offence hombre). I just need it to run some power tools like a drill and circular saw (figure 8 amps draw max per tool) now and then.

I was looking at the Hondas since I've had good luck with other stuff of theirs (lawnmower, snow blower, etc.) and I like their engines. I was also thinking in the range of 2000 watt size give or take.

Am I in the ballpark? Honda...gooood or Honda...baaad? How 'bout the Yamahosers?

Thanks,

Tom

2. Brentbba

Brentbba Former Golfer SILVER Star

I can only comment on the reliability of Honda's engines - but you seem to know that already. Lawnmower going strong since 1984, yes 1984! Brother-in-law would only purchase a pressure washer with a Honda engine. With the energy crisis we had a couple years ago in the Republic of Kalifornia, I had looked at generators - only Honda. Not cheap, but I wasn't interested in anything else because of the reliability of the engines. Sorry, I don't remember which ones I looked at, their ratings, etc or their final cost.

3. CDN_Cruiser

CDN_Cruiser

The sizing seems correct as well. With 2000W, you could run two 8amp tools at the same time (is that what you need?) or a more powerful (say 13amp) tool.

If you're only running one at a time, I'm always amazed at the little 1000W units.

I've also been very impressed with Honda engines. I used to use one as a fire/salvage pump - worked well.

Cheers, Hugh

4. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
  5. Scamper

Scamper

Thanks guys. Just want to be sure I'm not entering the twilight zone with this purchase.

While that Bobcat looks nice (I was also thinking about getting a new welder), I think it's a bit more than I want to spend, and it will be tough getting it onto my boat (I need to get the generator to an island) and up a hill :D.

I spied a Honda 3500 with less than 30 hours on it for just over $500, so I may go for that.

Tom

6. yooper

yooper Lost user SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Honda EU2000 - rock solid reliable, very conservative power rating, very clean inverter output - you can use it for sensitive computer equipment if you want. It's the only choice.