Gas tank size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought a 2001 Tundra 4X4 (4.7 liter, automatic) in Columbus OH, and drove it back to Tucson AZ. I like it.

However, the specs (google and the dealer) say that it has a 26.4 gallon tank. Twice on the way back, the gauge was reading about as empty as it could get, and I was only able to get about 21 gallons in it.

Was there a smaller tank put in some of them, or is my gas gauge lying to me?

If it's like the newer Tundra and FJ Cruiser, it's normal. My Tundra has a 26 gallon tank and the light comes on and it only holds about 21 gallons and the FJ had a 19 gallon tank and it had about 4 gallons left. Today I filled my Tundra and I had several miles on it after the light came on and I could only get 24 gallons into it.

I read the reason is to keep the fuel pump cool, submerged in gas. Run it dry then you will find out how mush gas it holds ...

Where in Columbus did you buy the Tundra?

Last edited:
I read the reason is to keep the fuel pump cool, submerged in gas. Run it dry then you will find out how mush gas it holds ...

Where in Columbus did you buy the Tundra?

Hilliard. I was back in OH for a conference, and also for a class reunion (family in Zanesville) and out of curiosity started looking at Craigslist listings.

Lucked out, huh?

I have family in Marysville and Dublin. Used to do the 11 hr trip every other week when my brother was sick. Did that for 18 yrs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom