Full Tilt! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone tell me how much trouble it is to put a GM tilt steering column in my cruiser. I am putting in a saginaw PS unit, also getting a new wiring harness and I supposs they are GM frienldly. Also what make and model vehicle makes the best donor for this upgrade? I obviously don't want something with column shift or cruise control.

Thanks again for your imput. This ride will be a coolective effort!

Steve

This is pretty soft core. I have had the best luck with steering columns from early 1970s (especially 1974) Camero's (or Firebirds). The length is almost perfect for the upper column brace to bolt directly to the bottom of the dash. You do need to remove the GM firewall plate and fabricate a new one for the Cruiser. Some details of the one I recently installed in my 45 are here: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~jrice/cruiser/FJ45/Steering.html

Also, check into Caddy stuff...tilt and telescopic...tho they ain't small....

With fab time, most things can be adjusted to fit...lol

[quote author=woody link=board=12;threadid=8840;start=msg76449#msg76449 date=1071594103]
With fab time, most things can be adjusted to fit...lol
[/quote]
That is how booty fab was started. :eek:

With utmost respect to Medusa, I like the mid 80's S10, easier around here to find, dirt cheap, lots of floor shift versions out there. I fab a new mount at the dash also, and move the column upwards into the V, IMHO it looks better this way, notice how much open space this one has between the column and the dash?
Butch

Respect is highly overrated ::) Young Butch's approach is a very good one. The way I do it, certainly does mount the column lower than what he describes and it takes up more room. I have never really tried to raise the column up into the "V" because I usually end up taking up all that space with a custom instument panel. Show us some pics Wise One :D

found a steering column from a late 70's GM something. Just what I was looking for, only turn signal and hazard. Hopefully I can get it mounted in there.

The only thig I want to know about this conversion is this:

My 79 has the Ignition in the collumn, can I switch to a tilt collumn and still be able to start my car with my stock key, as in, can I swap out the chevy ignition key thing for the toyota......sorry about the terminology...just got up.

Peace Out

didn't use the column I found, i just didn't look right. think i'll stick with the factory column for now.

[quote author=Toyoland66 link=board=12;threadid=8840;start=msg104388#msg104388 date=1076697451]
The only thig I want to know about this conversion is this:

My 79 has the Ignition in the collumn, can I switch to a tilt collumn and still be able to start my car with my stock key, as in, can I swap out the chevy ignition key thing for the toyota......sorry about the terminology...just got up.

Peace Out
[/quote]

No.

They are two completly different configurations, and nothing about either system is compatable.

I use the Camaro column that had a floor shift. I cut and welded some new ears on the stock gm mount to raise the column up into the dash as much as possible.

nicely done man. ;)

TTT

and i have a mid 80's seville column, and was wondering what distance from the dash to wheel that people are setting them up at? stock is like 17" but it appears that rock is closer.

Also for the V8 owners how much is left on the outside of the firewall? i trying to avoid any clearence issues with exhaust. I have cut and shortened columns before (cake) and thinking of a joint up real close the firewall. PICS?

also anyone tried to move the wiring harness from the bottom of the column to the top? for cleaner look, like medusa well i guess with wiring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom