Full susp or hardtail? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
darn...

in the market for a new (to me) bike.

Intended use: occasional use (no more than once a week overall, maybe once a month on semi serious trails, if that). Combo of roads (rare), bike lanes, mild trails, and the rare serious trail. But having a better bike might up the offroad use a bit, of course. And would like to use the bike as a safety way out if truck stuck in the boonies.

Would like the capability to handle offroad nicely when needed, so not so keen on the hybrid type.

Brain says: for such dual use and no hardcore downhilling a hardtail is the best way to go, especially with lockout front.

:censor: say: Damn it all! I want a Full Suspension for the gearhead satisfaction!

save me with your keen MUD savvy!

If you never had a full suspension.. ...............................get one....It will make you want to ride more.. and then you will come full circle like most of us and buy a hard tail or single speed or both later on.... yah will see...!!!!!!

full

to best serve your useage a hardtail would be the way to go; but if you did so happened to buy a full suspension you might be motivaded to hit the trails more frequent. :D

I just purchased a dually which was a bit overkill, but at my age I like the nice softy ride of the dually, will never go back to hard tail ever again.

Rob

I'm old and feeble... :)

so the soft ride is good, but you don't think I'm gonna have half of my feeble power go into the shocks on the road or uphill? :eek:

btw, do newer full susp have rear lockouts as well?

(and while we're at it, how come I'm told that the front adjustment is just a spring preload thing, with no changes on the shock / oil side. That true?)

Suspension is so good and efficient these days that it doesn't hinder you anywhere really. You haven't asked yourself the correct questions: 1. How much are you willing to spend? This is really the only question. It doesn't sound like you need a FS. While they are nice, you should buy the best bike that you can to suite the majority of your riding. That very well may be a hard tail. If you are in the market, and can get a hold of one, a Schwinn Homegrown comes to mind. If you can drop the cash, you can get a nice Ti frame from Moots or Dean, etc. That will give you a softer ride than Al, even in a hard tail. Good luck.

Suspension is so good and efficient these days that it doesn't hinder you anywhere really. You haven't asked yourself the correct questions: 1. How much are you willing to spend? This is really the only question. It doesn't sound like you need a FS. While they are nice, you should buy the best bike that you can to suite the majority of your riding. That very well may be a hard tail. If you are in the market, and can get a hold of one, a Schwinn Homegrown comes to mind. If you can drop the cash, you can get a nice Ti frame from Moots or Dean, etc. That will give you a softer ride than Al, even in a hard tail. Good luck.

WEll put, I believe the new dullies are so good in the saddle and out, most have lockouts as mentioned.

My one issue with my(used) new Devinci Frantik, peddles very well and the rear does not bob in fact all the bobbing is in the front fork?

I ride it to work daily and its nearly 7 and 7".

I like my hard tail. The full suspension bike I had for only a year would always "squat" when you would apply alot of pressure pedalling, like going up hill or just trying to gain speed. I never got used to it.

budget?

mountain-bike-delta-7-arantix.jpg

I rode this one out in Bootleg Canyon last wk. Crazy light. Likely over your budget.

you really want a budget, eh?

well, I see older/entry hardtails regularly go for under $100 here. Newer used ones for less than $200. Used Full suspension start popping up around $300. And you can get a new entry level Full susp with disk brakes at Costco for $300.

So, I'd say I'd hope to be able to get something decent for less than $500. I'm not after pro hardcore stuff here.

are there some important rules of thumb as far as full susp bikes? as in don't buy older than 20xx or a shock that's not xx type etc?

For less than 500 bucks and your type of riding, I would get a hard tail.

Many friends asked to help them buying their 1st bike, they all wanted to pay around 500 bucks or less and most them just want to ride around the block with their kids or to work or on paved trails. I recommended them to look into hard tails and guess what they ended up buying.....They all bought full suspended bikes which weighted 40 lbs...And yes the bikes came with entry level cable pull disk brakes and bike stands :eek:

I think most beginner riders impress with the full suspension bikes no matter what.

you really want a budget, eh?

well, I see older/entry hardtails regularly go for under $100 here. Newer used ones for less than $200. Used Full suspension start popping up around $300. And you can get a new entry level Full susp with disk brakes at Costco for $300.

So, I'd say I'd hope to be able to get something decent for less than $500. I'm not after pro hardcore stuff here.

are there some important rules of thumb as far as full susp bikes? as in don't buy older than 20xx or a shock that's not xx type etc?

I would keep an eye on your local craigslist. Get a bike fits well, hardtail or full suspension. Personally, I don't think hardtail or full suspension matters too much unless you become a serious rider, and you will know if you ever get there. For now, get one that fits with solid frame and front fork. The other components can be upgraded with out too much cost.

Good luck.

...And yes the bikes came with entry level cable pull disk brakes and bike stands :eek:

FWIW, I built a bike about a year ago. It's a hardtail. It was built for my wife, but I still ride it to this day (rode it last night with nspctr1, in fact). My only criteria was that all of the parts had to be free (to me). A friend gave me a GT frame and fork (I'll never forgive him), another gave me some XT and XTR components (shifters, R der.) as well as the crappiest front derailleur I've ever had the misfortune to ride. Nice rims from another. Handlebars, seat and related stuff from others. I ended up buying the tires and a chain.

Anyway, my point is that someone donated some very low-end mechanical disc brakes (Gator-brakes?). They work 1,000,000,000 X better than even the best V-brakes I've ridden (XTRs). So I assume that the :eek: comes from the kick stand?

If you're buying new and can't spend more than $600, stick with hardtail. If you desire more comfort or have a bad back, you just need a suspension seat post like a Thudbuster. You won't be happy with any full suspension bike below $600.

There's always a risk buying used, as you don't know the history of the bike. Cracks or stress fractures can't always be seen under a good paint job. Aluminum and carbon frames aren't all created equal.

I've gone full circle, and am now on a singlespeed hardtail. I'm not a hardcore racer or anything, but full suspension is still about marketing. With the riding you'll be doing, you're much better off with a quality hardtail than an entry-level dually.

;)

For 500 dollars you are not going to get a full suspension that works well with lockout on forks and the rear shock. My trance was 2k, I have hydro brakes nice rims and great pedaling, but no lock out. It really isn't needed these days since the suspension designs minimize bob. But it will be hard to find anything with lockout for less than 2 grand on a fully.

Hardtail on the other hand. You can get a decent spec hardtail, deore level components and maybe some lx for around 500 or 600 bucks. it will probably come with a low level rock shock, something like a dart or a tora. Go for the tora if its in your price range. Larger sanctions and better dampening. For that price point you should be able to get decent mech disks. Something along the lines of Avid BB5 or BB7 (BB7 way better) or the hayes MX line.

I would look at the Specialized RockHopper, older Specialized Stumpjumpers on craigslist, Giant Rincon or older Giant Iguana, Cannondale F5 through F7, and then take a look at like JensonUSA.com - Your Mountain & Road Bike online parts supplier! and Price Point - Discounts on Mountain Bike and Road Bike Parts, Accessories and Cycling Clothing to try and find some sweet deals.

Hope that helps.

thanks, yes I'm definitely going used on this.
are the suspensions from say, 5 years ago, very noticeably worse than today's and not worth bothering with, or are they still plenty good to work with for casual riding?

+10 on the hardtail on that budget. Buying a dual boinger at that budget is like carrying a full load a bricks around in your rig for no reason. Doesn't do anybody any good. :)

Buying used online can be tough as each mfr makes a bike that fits/rides different. Strongly suggest riding some diff brands at various shops and then using Search Tempest - Search Craigslist Faster! to locate the ones that you liked. I also have no prob w/ the rebranded frames being sold under the Motobecane brand at Bikes & Bicycles - Mountain, Road, CycloCross, Hybrid and Comfort bikes from bikesdirect.com. You get ZERO customer service, but the prices are really good. ...and if you can wrench on a truck, you can fix a bicycle.

Not to throw another wrench in the works, but have you heard of a 29" wheel mtb.They ride like a 26" F/S . The 29 in equalvent to a 700c road wheel.All mfg's have a 29 for the 2010 model year. I'am looking at some myself but the budget does't allow.Hope this helps.you can also test ride one at your LBS to see if it works for you.

Dave

Not to throw another wrench in the works, but have you heard of a 29" wheel mtb.They ride like a 26" F/S . The 29 in equalvent to a 700c road wheel.All mfg's have a 29 for the 2010 model year. I'am looking at some myself but the budget does't allow.Hope this helps.you can also test ride one at your LBS to see if it works for you.

Dave

From a guy who has raced on Specialized's factory team, "Riding a 29er is like driving a bus through a church."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom