Full custom stereo with removable drawer system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting ready to do a full install in my 95 fzj 80. I want to make a removable drawer system so that I can quick swap different amp racks and also swap them out for camping gear for when we use it for that purpose.
I am a collector of old school car audio so I have a lot of gear... Something like 170 90s era amps, 80 or so subs, dozens of decks, eqs, crossovers etc. Etc.
Starting with the head unit. Up until recently I was going to go with my clarion combo of a 9255 and a 920 dsp. But I want Bluetooth so I am going to use my alpine 7899 with my rux c-701 combined with a secondary alpine 5210 DVD player that will be able to play seperatly from the deck for the rear 2 alpine 10 inch gold down screens. (I have a 3 year old and a 3 month old)
I will be making door pods for my 2 sets of dynaudio 3 ways, I may only do one set up front and a set of 2 ways in the back.. I haven't decided on that for sure yet. It's gonna be up to how long it takes for me to make the first pair of doors. I have fiberglass resin/Matt and bondo for that project.
Subwoofers... I would like to end up with 4 old school eclipse 10 inch 8000 series woofers but I am having a helluva time finding them. For now I will be running a pair of cerwin Vega stroker 18ds. Or maybe 10 orion 2ntense dvc 12s. This big box will be able to be removed for when we use it for camping.
I will also be building a box in the passenger side rear area where the factory sub is located for either my Stereo integrity bm mkv 12, phase evolution Aliante si 12, or one of my sundown sd4 12s. I will be trying each of them in the box when it's finished and going with whichever sounds the best. I already own all of them so it's not a big deal which one works better than the others.
For power I have a 240 amp mean green alternator, dual odyssey extreme group 31 pc2150s up front with an old school orion mbr and 3/0 running to my 48 ah headway lithium bank in the rear.
I have soundskinned only the driver door but will be doing the entire rest of the doors and roof as well as floor. I already have all the soundskins 3 in 1 I need. In fact, there isn't anything left for me to purchase other than finding 3 more of those 10s.
For power in my first drawer system will be all old school mtx first edition thunder series. With 4 of my 5 2300s on subs and 4 4320s and a 4160 on mids/tweets depending on how many channels I will be using.
This will be a 3 way active setup with sub channel.
Next drawer will be phoenix gold with 2 zpa 0.5 on subs, a zpa 0.3 on midbass and 2 zx450s, 2 zx500s a zx 350 again.. Channel dependent.
Next drawer will be orion drawer with dual hcca 2100s on subs, hcca 250 on mids and up to 6 hcca 225s on the rest.
Next drawer will be soundstream with dual 10.0s on subs 1000s on midbass, and 6.0s and 3.0s on the rest.
That is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to options I have and I will probably make a total of 6 or 7 different drawer setups. The idea being I want to be able to take them to shows and quick swap different setups out. With the rux I can program different eq/crossover points for each setup.
When I am running my camping setup I will be running an old school memphis big Belle mc1600 5 channel amp running the entire rig encluding the sub in the rear stock area.
I will be testing everything with my smd tools, amm1, cc1, dd1+ and my spl labs wireless spl meter. So if there are any old school fans that want to see numbers, follow along.
I will be posting the build and different test numbers on my Facebook page as well.
If there is anything anyone especially wants to see, let me know. I have so many different setups I can run, Fosgate, crossfire, other mtx series, wayyyyy more soundstream stuff, a ton of ppi, etc. Etc..

Mint 18ds, my testing equipment, my rig and one of my custom 0.5s

20210909_145834.jpg

20211120_141702.jpg

20211120_122439.jpg

20210626_215739.jpg

What soundstream stuff you have in the way of amps? Had the reference series in highschool and loved those systems.

I got some Phoenix Gold Titanium amps NOS I plan on putting in the LX that's going to my nephew for his first car. Diamond components and subs. Should be a period correct system if you consider most people didnt put in a full blown stereo until the vehicle got a little older :)

I am a collector of old school car audio so I have a lot of gear...
Who's old school? lol
Your PP2150 is down-right space age to the '90 all-fin PP2150 I ran on 1 Rockford dual-cone double-throw 10" in a 7th-order single-bypass tuned to 25Hz. Pushed 145spl (which was good back in the day for a 1-driver setup in a hatchback :oldman:)
A Soundstream checked the freq at the doors, while keeping the center channel right on time.

But enough of all that.

I say fill the thing up if you won't be offroad or camping much.

Last edited:
Color me impressed. I test hearing for a living and can be available for baseline measurements before and after instal. Seriously though, nice equipment.

Subscribed!

I had a poster on my wall (I'll see if I still have it) for the Cerwin-Vega stroker when it came out. Probably got it at the '96-97 Daytona Beach nationals.
Something about the size of the piston, and the stroke or some other innuendo. Had a big breasted chick on the poster.

I don't really have any plans to do anything too involved in my cruiser, but I do have at least 2-3 old Soundstream references for a some day project.

Back in 1996, I bought two new Kicker Comp's, and a Soundstream reference, and built a box for my 1988 VW Golf. Made the box using Vance Dickenson's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook and my dad's woodworking tools.

The PPI amps take me down memory lane. I always wanted an art series amp, but they were spendy. US Amps (with the LED in the palm tree) were something I always lusted after.

It's a shame Stereo Integrity shut the doors. My living room home theater has two HT15D2's in two sealed boxes with a rackmount Behringer pushing them. I love to put on old Bass Mechanix tracks with those bad boys!

Good times, good times.

Looking forward to watching the progress!!

Who's old school? lol
Your PP2150 is down-right space age to the '90 all-fin PP2150 I ran on 1 Rockford dual-cone double-throw 10" in a 7th-order single-bypass tuned to 25Hz. Pushed 145spl (which was good back in the day for a 1-driver setup in a hatchback :oldman:)
A Soundstream checked the freq at the doors, while keeping the center channel right on time.

But enough of all that.

I say fill the thing up if you won't be offroad or camping much.
I have 6 or 7 art series and I do have one promos 12. Ive got lots of 80s gear as well. But mostly 90s stuff.

20210313_123737.jpg

20211120_141702.jpg

20210930_224852.jpg

20210828_193017.jpg

Subscribed!

I had a poster on my wall (I'll see if I still have it) for the Cerwin-Vega stroker when it came out. Probably got it at the '96-97 Daytona Beach nationals.
Something about the size of the piston, and the stroke or some other innuendo. Had a big breasted chick on the poster.

I don't really have any plans to do anything too involved in my cruiser, but I do have at least 2-3 old Soundstream references for a some day project.

Back in 1996, I bought two new Kicker Comp's, and a Soundstream reference, and built a box for my 1988 VW Golf. Made the box using Vance Dickenson's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook and my dad's woodworking tools.

The PPI amps take me down memory lane. I always wanted an art series amp, but they were spendy. US Amps (with the LED in the palm tree) were something I always lusted after.

It's a shame Stereo Integrity shut the doors. My living room home theater has two HT15D2's in two sealed boxes with a rackmount Behringer pushing them. I love to put on old Bass Mechanix tracks with those bad boys!

Good times, good times.

Looking forward to watching the progress!!
I have som3 us amps as well, a super cherry USA 150 in green, then 3 chrome ones 2 USA 200s and a 50hc. They made some awesome gear. If you want any arts, I have 6 or 7 of them as well.

What soundstream stuff you have in the way of amps? Had the reference series in highschool and loved those systems.

I got some Phoenix Gold Titanium amps NOS I plan on putting in the LX that's going to my nephew for his first car. Diamond components and subs. Should be a period correct system if you consider most people didnt put in a full blown stereo until the vehicle got a little older :)
I know I'm going to miss skme but off the top of my hear I have.
1000s, 700s, 2 500, 2 500s, 502, 405s, 300s, 300sx, 2 10.0s, 2 6.0s, 5.0, 2 3.0s, nib tarantula tr500x4, a pair of dartagnans, Mc 245, d200, d100, d50, I know I'm missing quite a few. And I have sold some in the last month or so. But I do love ss. I also have a pair of nib spl 15s, a pair of exact 12s a pair of nib exact 8s, a pair of mules 2 pairs of exact 6.5s a nib set of ss510s and nib set of exact .4s and a ton of their crossovers etc etc. Love me some ss.

Punch Series 1. Salesman plugged them into the wall. I bought two on the spot.

I have 6 or 7 art series and I do have one promos 12. Ive got lots of 80s gear as well. But mostly 90s stuff.
I don't see any Boston Acoustics or square Kickers OR a Bazooka lol
The red Orion tho ... lol wow that's a blast.👍

edit:a correction to my previous statement, it was a Kicker Pro 10" dual cone, not Rockford (short for Rockford Fosgate. Not the "Rockford" brand)

Last edited:
I prefer the round solos from before the square, the first were grey and said kicker just like the comps but had solo baric moniker below. Then came the 2 with the solo s in the middle the c and the d. I have a pair of mint solo d 10s a mint solo d 12 and a pair of solo d 15s. My favorite series. I also own quite a few Fosgate amps and subs.
I don't see any Boston Acoustics or square Kickers OR a Bazooka lol
The red Orion tho ... lol wow that's a blast.👍

edit:a correction to my previous statement, it was a Kicker Pro 10" dual cone, not Rockford (short for Rockford Fosgate. Not the "Rockford"

20210419_201311.jpg

20210325_130800.jpg

20211001_141723.jpg

20211120_120845.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom