Fuel tank vent location? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The fuel tank vent on my BJ73 is obviously clogged. On a road trip after extended driving at speed a serious vacum develops in the fuel tank and I begin to suffer from fuel starvation: reduced power and smoke while running at highway speed, when I pull off on the exit ramp it sometimes stalls when I push in the clutch as the IP isn't sucking hard enough at low RPM to get fuel.......It literally takes 2 hands to remove the fuel cap due to suction. If I drive with a loosened fuel cap the problem goes away.

Where is the fuel tank vent and how to unclog it? Anyone know? I've been searched and can't find a thread or article on it.

The fuel tank vent on my BJ73 is obviously clogged. On a road trip after extended driving at speed a serious vacum develops in the fuel tank and I begin to suffer from fuel starvation: reduced power and smoke while running at highway speed, when I pull off on the exit ramp it sometimes stalls when I push in the clutch as the IP isn't sucking hard enough at low RPM to get fuel.......It literally takes 2 hands to remove the fuel cap due to suction. If I drive with a loosened fuel cap the problem goes away.

Where is the fuel tank vent and how to unclog it? Anyone know? I've been searched and can't find a thread or article on it.
if you look up from underneath to the fuel filler neck, behind the sheet metal, there is what looks like a lawnmower fuel filter. that's your tank breather

My BJ73 1986 has a straight hose from the tank, which ends into (!) the nearby floor crossmember. It's hold in place with a plastic fitting . Thus it's not quite obvious this is the vent line.
This lawnmower filter look-like thingy is a check valve. It helps venting the filler neck when refueling, but imho is not venting the tank when driving.
(But this filler neck piping is an engineering miracle it's inventor might have taken with him to the grave).
Cheers Ralf

Edit: The tank ventilation is another spot to take action on when preparing a vehicle for intense wading. To rise Axle/Diff- and Tranny-Breathers are often discussed in this regard, but tank ventilation is seldom mentioned...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom