Front lift questions! Bilstein 5100 with OME/Eibach/Wheeler T1 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought my GX about a year ago from a guy who'd done the MetalTech rear airbag delete and added OME 2895s in the back, but kept the stock springs up front with 2" ToyTech spacers. A few months ago, I noticed that the left rear shock was leaking, so I took the opportunity to replace the rear set with Bilstein 5100s.

Wow, what a difference that made - I guess I hadn't realized how clapped out those rear shocks were. It's a bit on the stiff side, but overall a huge improvement.

However, now the truck feels a bit 'floaty' at speed in the front, simply because of the stiffened up rear suspension. I also don't know how I feel about a spacer achieving this lift, I'd obviously rather greater shock and spring travel.

I'd like to find an option for the front that will achieve a 2.5-2.75" lift. I'm running 33" tires which currently rub at lock, and wouldn't mind a bit more clearance without having to modify the wheel well.

I'd obviously like to go Bilstein 5100 for the front as well; but not sure what springs to get. I'd priced out the OME 2885s (590lbs) and almost pulled the trigger but then saw the Wheeler's T1 offering (620lbs). Will they be a ton stiffer (higher spring rate?) Which perch is recommended for either spring? There also looks to be an Eibach offering, but can't find a lot of information on them.

Also, there's an option for the strut/spring to come assembled for another $100 which I'm considering taking advantage of. I have a spring compressor, but wouldn't mind avoiding it.

What do? Pics for clicks....as you can see, I could afford a bit more lift in the front.

_KMS5766.jpg

_KMS5789.jpg

leaning toward the Wheeler T1 coils as it seems stock spring rate is 580lbs, and the back currently is sprung pretty tightly at 260lbs (up from stock, which is 205lbs). It would see the GX as a heavier vehicle than the Prado/4runner platform could benefit from the 620lb springs...

Does anyone know which perch I should set the 5100s to? I'm guessing either fully down or up one notch to achieve that 2.5-2.75" lift and remove the rake you see above, in addition to hopefully adding clearance for the tires up front.

You can run the Eibach springs with 5100’s if you go that route, or go with the Eibach struts if you can grab them at a good price from a mid member on here.

If you go with an Eibach spring then the second clip would put you at 3” lift from factory. Not sure what your rear lift is but If it’s at About 2.25” then it would look level.
If you go with the wheelers spring maybe give them a ring to see what their lift height is at the lowest clip on the 5100’s.

Did you ever buy the Wheelers front coils? How do you like them? I need to get my Fox front setup rebuilt and I might give these a try during the downtime.

Did you ever buy the Wheelers front coils? How do you like them? I need to get my Fox front setup rebuilt and I might give these a try during the downtime.

I actually never did; I went with the OME 2885s. Turned out perfect, highly recommended. Sorry I can't comment on the Wheeler's setup - I suggest calling them directly, they were super helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom