Front Door Speakers (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

you also have to get the right phase speakers. I went to change mine and bought 4phase and they were muffled sounding. Found out i needed a 2phase speaker and viola...no issues. I went with infinity.

More than likely you stocks speakers/tweeters need to be replaced due to deterioration. When I pulled my stock speakers out to be replaced they were completely eaten away. There was barely a cone left.

So, my tweeter may not be blown? It is just the crappy stock stereo and amp? Is there an easy way to tell (with out replacing the factory system)?

I know very little about speakers but I would think that since the Polks come with a tweeter built-in, you could just disconnect the factory tweeter.

BBQ...Your thoughts?

I know very little about speakers but I would think that since the Polks come with a tweeter built-in, you could just disconnect the factory tweeter.

BBQ...Your thoughts?

If you went with the db's then yes you could ax the factory tweeters. Personally I would not do this. Having your tweeters in the factory location will give you much better sound stage. Now, you are not going into the depth of a system that I have but the stage is MUCH different with the set up you have versus what I have. I could get away with putting my tweeter in the kick panel and make it sound as if they are in the factory location because of my digital processor. You do not have that so you should replace the speakers back in their original location. Now, if the miss in the doors were a lot higher up instead of on the floor then you could get away with it.
A friend of mine had the db's in his mustang and really liked them but he then put the MM's in their and will never go back to the db's. The db's are good for what they are but the MM's will allow for you to build MUCH BETTER SYSTEM BY SIMPLY ADDING AN AMP AND BYPASSING GHE FACTORY AMO.(whoops. Sorry for the caps)
when you do add an amp but do not want to spend the money on a new head unit then you could simply install a line out converter and keep the factory radio in there and run a after market amp and make those speakers sing.
The MM's can be had on Amazon for around $100.

Two options I can see. Buy a 2-way or coaxial speaker for the lower door location and disconnect the tweeter located in the upper door location (a pillar area). Second option, buy a new component speaker system with separate tweeter and remove and replace the OEM tweeter with the new one in the OEM location.

My only concern is the signal source coming from the factory amp. I'm guessing the input wire to the speaker in the lower door is not post crossover. Meaning the frequency range hasn't been adjusted for just the speaker in the lower door location. I think the crossover is located inside the OEM amp and the components are effectively bi-amped, but not 100% sure.

I also agree with BBQ BOY, your sound stage with the tweeter being removed will dramatically be affected. I would personally maintain a component speaker system with a tweeter in the factory a-pillar location for the best quality sound. You can get a quality component speaker system for not a lot of money and the install is not that difficult.

More than likely you stocks speakers/tweeters need to be replaced due to deterioration. When I pulled my stock speakers out to be replaced they were completely eaten away. There was barely a cone left.

BBQ...Your thoughts?

Can you explain? I know good sound when I hear it. But, I have no idea what to listen for to tell if I need an amp. Near the beggining of the year I installed these Rockford Fosgate speakers:
Rockford Fosgate® - T2652-S
and
Rockford Fosgate® - T1S652

I cant tell but sometimes it sounds like the tweeters are already blown. But it only when using my Ipod or Droid with the tape adapter.... I know, I know, I need to replace the rest of the factory system. I just havnt gotten there yet. When I was living in San Francisco I didnt drive except for trips due to a great public transport system. Now that I live in San Diego, I have to drive a lot more.... So, working towards it.

Sorry guys, I dont have factory speakers anymore. I just have the factory head unit and amp. I just am looking for a way to determine if the new tweeters are actually blown or if they are just underpowered/getting crap from from the source.

I was wrong. The MM's on Amazon are around $175.

Sorry guys, I dont have factory speakers anymore. I just have the factory head unit and amp. I just am looking for a way to determine if the new tweeters are actually blown or if they are just underpowered/getting crap from from the source.

Hard to say then without seeing or hearing them. what speakers are they?

Hard to say then without seeing or hearing them. what speakers are they?

these:

Can you explain? I know good sound when I hear it. But, I have no idea what to listen for to tell if I need an amp. Near the beggining of the year I installed these Rockford Fosgate speakers:
and

I cant tell but sometimes it sounds like the tweeters are already blown. But it only when using my Ipod or Droid with the tape adapter.... I know, I know, I need to replace the rest of the factory system. I just havnt gotten there yet. When I was living in San Francisco I didnt drive except for trips due to a great public transport system. Now that I live in San Diego, I have to drive a lot more.... So, working towards it.

Thanks BBQ

By ear the only way to tell without hooking up a test speaker is to listen for crackling or just sounds funny.

Mxndrnks said:
and

Is the volume on the iPod or droid at 100%? That could be the issue. Try setting the volume at 85% or 90%. Mine distorted at full volume when I was using a tape adapter, but sounded fine when I turned down the iPod a little.

My only concern is the signal source coming from the factory amp. I'm guessing the input wire to the speaker in the lower door is not post crossover. Meaning the frequency range hasn't been adjusted for just the speaker in the lower door location. I think the crossover is located inside the OEM amp and the components are effectively bi-amped, but not 100% sure.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the factory amp does not provide the crossovering (heh--"crossovering"). Rather, I believe that the tweeter has a super cheap high-pass filter built into it (i.e., just a capacitor) and that the mid-bass gets the full signal.

So, you shouldn't have any problems installing components up front with their own crossover.

you also have to get the right phase speakers. I went to change mine and bought 4phase and they were muffled sounding. Found out i needed a 2phase speaker and viola...no issues. I went with infinity.

Good choice. I did too.

its an 01 like mine.. do yourself a favor and drop for a new head unit.. and a new 4 channel amp (40x4).. have some install it under front passenger seat and then put in 4 new speakers.. the db651 in the rear and the same in the front ( except the component version) in the front and a powered 8-10" powered sub in the back.. all the original speakers are done.. 10 yrs is too long for factory speakers in cars.

odessit said:
I put Polk DB651 (Polk Audio - db Series - Mobile / Marie Speakers ) in front/rear doors on my LC 04 - they are much better than stock and sell for $100/pair. I thought about putting Polk MM651, but the audio store owner talked me out of doing this as I was not going to replace factory amplifier. He said that aftermarket amplifier is needed to drive MM series speakers. I figured if the guy is not trying to sell me more expensive speakers - he is probably right.

I do have four original JBL speakers. No mounting cases, just the speakers - they were working before so if somebody wants them - you can have them for a very reasonable price plus shipping. Alternatively, can be picked up in Boston, I do get to NYC once in awhile and can bring the speakers with me if needed.

Did you find that you needed the slim mount db651, or were the regular speakers ok? Also, is the a differing model since we have a 2 ohm system (i believe this is correct)? Dis anyone replace the subwoofer? Having trouble finding one that will work with my factory system (03 with navi). Thanks. Ready to pull the trigger on these polks soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom