Front differential leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2011 fj cruiser, stock, with 116k miles on it.

I go and put my fj in 4wd for a few minutes then the next day I notice that my front diff is leaking. I dont see any oil coming out the side were the CV axel mates, its directly in the center; and i dont get how just a few minutes in 4wd caused tht much of a leak.

Could this just be a loose bolt or is this a broken seal?

20171109_121229.jpg

20171109_121217.jpg

Could be one or the other I suppose. Make sure to tighten the bolts and see if that makes a difference. Are you certain it is coming from the front diff? One test is to wipe everything down so it is clean, but a light layer of baby powder on the surface of the diff, and let it sit overnight so you can see where the leak is coming from.

My 2008 front diff is a leaky one indeed. It could definitely use some new seals.

It's the ones on top of the housing that are a real biotch to get to. They do work themselves loose with time especially with a lot of ATrac activity. Next time you are doing maintenance, pull each bolt 1 at a time from the housing and put red loctite on it, then replace it.

that doesn't really qualify as leak from my experience. but it's in the 1st stages for sure. tighten re-torque all of the bolts to the higher end of the tech spec and keep an eye on it for actual leakage, not just a wet seal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom