front CV play (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey gents;

I felt a vibration in my front end so I got to feeling around...

The CV has play where it slides into the front axle/diff/carrier. From my research, this is semi common when the truck is higher mileage (which mine is...). It has something to do with the cv riding on the gears themselves instead of being supported by a separate bearing? And as the gears wear and the tolerances become nonexistent, the axle develops up/down play... If thats true, Im confused as to why they would'nt put a bearing in there... Or am i wrong and there is a bearing in there?

Its got about 1/4" +- up/down play in it only on the driver side. I checked the fluid and it was full and there is no leak as of now.

My question is - What gears came factory in a 02 tacoma TRD, 3.4, yadda yadda yadda...?

I like the nitro gears, but I'm assuming the truck should have 4.10:1, no? They dont have that ratio.
Nitro Gear
would I need the gears or just a master 'kit'?
Master Kit

I am not willing to attempt an install on something i DD, so i will have the local guru do it.

So, against better judgement Im going to continue to drive it until the seal leaks, and then I will DD on some 37's for a while :)D).

What are you grabbing when you pushing/pulling/prying and noticing the play?

Are you grabbing the tulip housing or the axle? If you are grabbing the axle and pushing up, then it's just wear in the CV joint and not unusual. There shouldn't be any movement up/down if you are grabbing the tulip housing.

"tulip" i guess. Not the axle, but the large part that slides into the diff and has a 1 CV boot attached to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom