Front axle service (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bpenn1980

SILVER Star
Threads
Is anyone out there interested in seeing a front axle job? I'm doing mine now, but have decided it will be at a slow and relaxing pace. One afternoon to remove one side, another half day to install...rinse repeat between now and next weekend. If anyone is interested in stopping by I'd be happy to share what little knowledge I have (or benefit from yours!).

I'm in LA, Culver City area.

Post up here and we can figure it out.

Brad

FYI, everything is torn down. Waiting on some replacement parts to come in and will be putting it all back together next weekend.

If you've got it all clean, you're almost done!!!

If you've got it all clean, you're almost done!!!
Hey Brent,

Nice to hear from you!

That's right, the tear down is fast, but clean up is an absolute PITA. Maybe a parts washer...and a bigger garage :)

Man this place is a little quiet these days. I thought for sure there would be some new 80 owner that would be curious about this. I remember how intimidating it was for me the first go. That, plus i've found it hard to find a mechanic that knows, or will even agree to work on an older LC.

Will hopefully have it back together today. Then new soft brake hoses all around, rear axle service, battery, fusible links, alternator, starter, other electrical odds n ends, power steering hoses, transmission hoses, radiator, and sliders/rear bumper/winch. Feels good to put some love back in after all these years.

Hope you're doing well and glad you chose to keep the 80!

Rear axle service has never been done on my truck!

Mine either haha

Probably means gear oil is a pretty good bearing lubricant!

Reassembly went well today, but the new hubs didnt come with flange studs, so waiting for those. I miss the CDan days when he had your back on every bit 'n bob you would need on any order.

Was thinking of trying to join the Mojave Road trip with my kids, but not sure if the timing will work unfortunately.

Almost need to mention that with the group size as it sits, we really need a permit!

Mojave is always a fun, easy trip. Great group too !!

I did the DS rear axle today. I have the full float axle, so I dont know if that changes things compared to semi-float, but the job is waaay easier than front axle. Cleaner too. Basically pull axle, remove caliper, remove rotor, remove hub, disassemble hub (bearings/races), clean hub and spindle, reassemble hub with new grease/races/bearings/seal, install hub, install rotor, torque to get preload, install axle, install caliper, drink a beer.

I had original yellow grease in the hub that looked all dried out and cracked. It was fairly clean, so not a ton of gear oil getting in there. I'm surprised the bearings weren't in worse shape.

Replaced two more brake hoses as well.

Good day!

I did the DS rear axle today. I have the full float axle, so I dont know if that changes things compared to semi-float, but the job is waaay easier than front axle. Cleaner too. Basically pull axle, remove caliper, remove rotor, remove hub, disassemble hub (bearings/races), clean hub and spindle, reassemble hub with new grease/races/bearings/seal, install hub, install rotor, torque to get preload, install axle, install caliper, drink a beer.

I had original yellow grease in the hub that looked all dried out and cracked. It was fairly clean, so not a ton of gear oil getting in there. I'm surprised the bearings weren't in worse shape.

Replaced two more brake hoses as well.

Good day!
Damn you! Trying to gut me into servicing the rear! What did you do for the SST you need to do the job?? @boydmick fabricated his own IIRC.

You can do it! I bought it from Cruiser Outfitters along with the seals/gaskets/bearings/etc. It was $30-ish. You do need a vise to hold the hub to remove the inner hub seal. I guess you could get it out without, but makes it easier.

Come on up and we'll knock it out.

Good news @Brentbba
Just took down the other side of the rear axle and it had gear oil in it, so you're probably a-ok! Beside, both sets of bearings looked great for 150k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom