Frame off help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm doing a bunch of research before diving in. Hoping to do a frame off resto-mod. The truck I have isn't original enough to go full resto plus I'm probably going to put a 2b diesel in it from another truck I have on hand.

Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations in the Lincoln/Omaha area for diesel mechanics and driveline work. I know which body guy I trust, so now I need someone I trust to do some of the other work.

So anyone know a good diesel guy?

Years ago when I had a couple 7.3’s I used C&C diesel in Bennington and was pretty happy with them. My dad used to take his Duramax there as well. Another friend of mine has had all of his work done at Husker diesel and he seems to be pleased with that shop. I know that’s not much to go on, hopefully you find a good shop. What cruiser are you building?

It's a 74 with drums all around and an old chevy 283 in it. Other than the engine it's fairly original. Body and frame in great shape.

The donor is an 80 BJ41. I'll be pulling the axles complete with discs, the engine, transmission, transfer case, and any other useful bits I can find. From what I understand, the power steering can't be adapted, but I have a saginaw setup. Probably more expensive than just finding a LHD diesel somewhere but it's what I have.

We are in Fremont if you need any help

Thanks, I may take you up on that. My latest idea to just make the truck more practical/reliable for a daily is to convert to EFI on the 283 and then just get the drums tuned up and put new wheels and tires on it. Then drive it for a year and tinker.

The EFI conversion doesn't look too bad but I'm hesitant to drill a hole in the engine for the temp sensor. So I'll likely end up getting that work done.

Thanks, I may take you up on that. My latest idea to just make the truck more practical/reliable for a daily is to convert to EFI on the 283 and then just get the drums tuned up and put new wheels and tires on it. Then drive it for a year and tinker.

The EFI conversion doesn't look too bad but I'm hesitant to drill a hole in the engine for the temp sensor. So I'll likely end up getting that work done.

If it were me I would plumb it into my thermostat housing or intake rather than drill and tap the block. While the block will be the most accurate for heat I don't think you want to do that machine work considering you would have to disassemble the motor to ensure no shavings made it in.

I have actually been reading about this and I would not go into the thermostat housing unless you have removed the thermostat as it will prevent flow and a true temp reading of your engine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom