Fort fisher 4wd beach (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SFROMAN

SILVER Star
Threads
Thought I would post up info here.
Been wanting to go to the beach so I contacted the folks at fort fisher for some info on the 4wd beach.

Below is the info I got from them. Might head out there this weekend.

The 4x4 beach access will reopen tomorrow at 8:00 am. The park office will remain closed for sale of passes till May 22. If you want to purchase a pass before then, you may do so at ncparks.gov. Just look for the webstore link with the shopping cart. Keep in mind that this is processed through a Raleigh office and expect 5-7 days before it arrives through USPS. If you plan to use it this weekend or before you receive the pass, please bring some confirmation of purchase (receipt, email confirmation etc.). The rangers will provide you with a temporary code till the park office reopens.

Nice! I knew the ferries were still running to Lookout, but wondered how long it would take to get access back to Fisher. Thanks for the update!

Thought I would post up info here.
Been wanting to go to the beach so I contacted the folks at fort fisher for some info on the 4wd beach.

Below is the info I got from them. Might head out there this weekend.
I've been wanting to do a beach trip as well but thought it looked like it would be several weeks until the weather got warm enough to make it worth while

Thanks for the info. Are you able to camp at fort fisher? My wife has been itching for us to go camping and get out of the house.

I could totally be in for that next weekend or especially Memorial Day weekend. The wife is so ready to get to the beach.

Freeman Park is open/opening up too but I know it's going to be really crowded.

Sean
Like I have mentioned before. Fort fisher is arguably the cleanest, quietest best drive in beach on the east coast.

It is still not as warm as I like it and the wind is pretty strong as well.
either way, if anybody wants to get together for a trip in the next couple of weeks I am down.

Thanks for the info. Are you able to camp at fort fisher? My wife has been itching for us to go camping and get out of the house.

I know the 4wd beach is open 24 hours during some parts of the year.
Currently I believe it is only open during day light. Usually open from 0800-2000/2100

If I'm not mistaken, you have to buy an annual pass, they're not yet doing the temporary passes?

Joe that my be correct. I’m not sure. I only buy the annual passes since it is cheaper in the long run so I didn’t bother to ask about day or weekend passes.

I drove down this past week to take the dogs for a walk down there, it’s fantastic right now, the first turtle nests are starting to emerge (I’ve read, not seen) I love the cooler temps right now...
0363DD82-795A-4725-987C-087375020B53.jpeg

No camping allowed on Ft Fisher. Freeman Park used to allow camping all year round, but after last summer they voted to restrict it from Memorial Day to Labor Day. You pretty much have to go to the Outer Banks, Cape Lookout, or Portsmouth for beach camping.

Last edited:
A buddy and I will be on Cape Lookout this weekend with our Cruisers if anyone is planning on being there. As of yesterday morning, there was a ferry cancellation. Anyone is welcome to join us if they can get a ferry spot. We'll be ferrying over at 4pm and returning early Sunday evening

Can't make Cape Lookout but..

Just ordered my Fort Fisher pass and am thinking we'll head out there Memorial Day weekend.

I don't know if you guys follow any sites or groups relating to the coast, but apparently there's a huge problem w/ people not following guidelines on distancing etc. NPS has hinted at closing off some of OBX access due to knuckleheads crammed together; I understand Ft. Fisher is state-managed, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're having issues and considering restricted access.

I don't know if you guys follow any sites or groups relating to the coast, but apparently there's a huge problem w/ people not following guidelines on distancing etc. NPS has hinted at closing off some of OBX access due to knuckleheads crammed together; I understand Ft. Fisher is state-managed, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're having issues and considering restricted access.
I appreciate the insight. On the other hand, I can control my family's situation at Fort Fisher which is very important to me. Typically we stop for dinner on the way back so we plan all meals from morning to night. The first few weekend Fort Fisher is open will be tough for distancing and more than likely it will be late June or July before my family can take advantage of the pass.

Living in CB, we are seeing none of that other than when Wrightsville Beach had spring break issues. People seem pretty measured here, now...time will tell...

Last edited:
I am headed to fort fisher in the morning and plan to be there until about 1400-1500.

I will post up the conditions and the crowd situation or any other info when I get back.

if anybody is headed that way or wants to come park next to us 6 feet away haha. Just let me know. Or pm ur cell # so we text to link up.

Just as expected. The place was packed. The closing of freeman park at 1230 made fort fisher even more crowded. However it wasn’t too bad.
the tide was pretty high so th beach was only about had the width as last year. But even though there were was lots of traffic it flowed along relitivey smooth.
Yeah there were a lot of folks in street tires and I didn’t see too many people that had aired down their tires so some folks did get stuck but it was no where near the clown show that occurs on freeman or north side.

The biggest difference I saw today was the age of the folks out there. It was mostly younger crowd 20s to early thirties.
All the other times I have been there this is not the case at all. I think the young crowds like to go to freeman because you can drink alcohol there and can’t at fort fisher but with no other option I guess this might be the new norm for fort fisher.

either way the family and I had a great time. The weather was perfect andthe water was cold but not as cold as other times I have been there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom