For those with K02's ... what is your preferred tire pressure off road? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

Just pulled the trigger on some Staun tire deflators to complement my ARB Rapid Deflator. Basically because I'm lazy....and I like the idea of not having to air down each tire one at a time.

So, for those of you with BFG K02's, I'm curious what y'all run as your "standard" tire pressures for off-road? The Stauns come pre-set to 18PSI, but I feel like that's lower than I need. If I'm in a situation where I need to go that low, or lower, I can use the ARB deflator. So, I guess what I'm looking for is a good PSI to set them to where they'll cover me for MOST situations (think dirt and gravel roads with potholes, corrogations, etc)

Based on what I've aired down to in the past, my gut tells me i'll probably set the deflators to around 25 PSI .... but curious to hear from you all what you like to run?

Thanks in advance!

I have the Staun deflators and I thought that 18 psig was too low. I like 25 psig. I've had a rock go through the outer lug of a new KO2 (diesel pickup) that was at full pressure and never had a problem on the same road aired down to 25. It's also faster to inflate back to normal pressure. Less time for the onboard air compressor.

I run 20psi on my 06 LX40. Seems to be a good tire shape and absorbs bumps well.

Hey All,

Just pulled the trigger on some Staun tire deflators to complement my ARB Rapid Deflator. Basically because I'm lazy....and I like the idea of not having to air down each tire one at a time.

So, for those of you with BFG K02's, I'm curious what y'all run as your "standard" tire pressures for off-road? The Stauns come pre-set to 18PSI, but I feel like that's lower than I need. If I'm in a situation where I need to go that low, or lower, I can use the ARB deflator. So, I guess what I'm looking for is a good PSI to set them to where they'll cover me for MOST situations (think dirt and gravel roads with potholes, corrogations, etc)

Based on what I've aired down to in the past, my gut tells me i'll probably set the deflators to around 25 PSI .... but curious to hear from you all what you like to run?

Thanks in advance!

I have Toyota Australian-delivered OEM 17” alloy wheels with Toyota-specified tyre size, currently using "E rated" BFG LT 275/65R17 121/118S KO2, previously used the KO version. I have no experience in snow and ice but have been very happy with both KO and KO2 in all other conditions.

The attached ancient document from Cooper still works for me concerning different ranges of tyre pressures in various different conditions -- although I would go a bit softer in sand, down to 15psi if the sand is soft. Usually I use 32psi on a fast unsealed road, around 25psi for slow rocky trails, generally run 40psi on sealed highways and around town as recommended by the tyre supplier, although 35psi does give better comfort. The vehicle is kept under the Australian-approved Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) of 3,260 kilograms (7,187 pounds) including all that is in or on the vehicle, and axle loadings are kept within the conservative Toyota-specified limits. I might go a bit higher with tyre pressures when the vehicle is fully loaded.

The Toyota-recommended tyre pressures (on a placard on the "B" pillar) are way too soft for me on the highway. These are specified for maximum comfort for sales purposes!!

Attachments

• cooper-drivers-guide-tyre-pressures.pdf
    365.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Landcruiser GVM and Max Axle Loads v2.pdf
    303.9 KB · Views: 211
  • Landcruiser Tyre Details - 14MAR22.pdf
    432 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Running on desert sand (not beach sand) usually at 12 PSI . . But when the sand gets super soft even below 10 is manageable. . . Have managed to de-bead a tyre (sliding sideways along the top of a dune and went through some wheel ruts running up/down). Re-inflated the tyre and continued on.

Digressing, the KO2 aren't really good on sand. A less aggressive tyre is better - more floaty, but where I am it's either sharp rocks or sand. The less aggressive tyres usually have a light weight polyester sidewall - I've ripped the sidewall open on "road" tyres way too often.

Hey All,

Thanks in advance!

What size vehicle do you have and what's the load range of your tires? If you have a behemoth, I could understand not wanting to run 18 PSI, but on a light vehicle lower might be reasonable. How bad does it buldge at 16 PSI?

What size vehicle do you have and what's the load range of your tires? If you have a behemoth, I could understand not wanting to run 18 PSI, but on a light vehicle lower might be reasonable. How bad does it buldge at 16 PSI?

2000 LX470. Not a particularly heavy build. Probably an additional 225 lbs over stock.

It's not that I don't think I COULD go down to 16-18 psi. Actually I would, and I have, for difficult terrain.

But the reality is that 80-90% of the time I spend off pavement is spent on hard packed dirt or gravel roads, and it just seems a bit unnecessary to run pressures that low for that kinda stuff.

But I could definitely be wrong!

285/70-17 load C on my ‘13 LX570. Between build, people and gear an extra 600-1000 lbs, so pushing 7k lbs.

I run 36 psi on road. 25-28 off road and 20-25 psi in the sand and glacier silt, I’ve had to go down to 15 in the sand but aired back up to 20 as soon as I could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom