craigslist For Sale: '83 BJ-42, Wyoming (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Toyota Land Cruiser BJ-42

This truck is a daily driver.
I bought it in Central America and drove it home to Cheyenne. It runs strong.

Common features to 40 series Cruisers:
-removable top
-folding wind screen
-foot well vents
-folding bench seats in the rear
-four speed transmission (four forward and one reverse)
-low-range transfer case

Notable features:
-the 3B diesel (not sold in the US, perfect for turbo, can be re-sleeved, best motor toyota built for the 40s)
-Aisin locking hubs
-Nippondenso A/C (all that's missing is the compressor)
-split rims
-split case transfer case
-pintle hitch

Things I've done to it:
-extra leaf in the rear to handle sag
-new brake lines on the front
-new bushings all around (Toyota parts)
-new Marlin seals on the front hubs
-clear Wyoming title

Known issues:
-an electrical fault has disabled the turn signals.
-the door handles need to be replaced.
-the emergency brake does not function.
-the Firestone tractor tires are good now but will not last longer than a couple more seasons.
-the spare tire is not in good shape.
-the odometer failed at 249,000 kilometers (154k miles). It's true milage is unknown.
-the frame is in great shape but has surface rust in some spots. But it's really a minor thing; it rubs away with a wire brush leaving the frame looking just fine.

Suggested upgrades for altitude and latitude:
-heater

This is a strong running truck. I do not drive it enough so I need to sell it.

If you have questions please ask. I have detailed photos and more information if you need.

ACB_0047-9.jpg
ACB_0050-12.jpg
ACB_0039-1.jpg

Last edited:
Price and more pics greatly appreciated. What about rust on body panels/tub? I'm just north of you and interested...price dependent of course.

Thanks!

I'll post a bunch of photos.

I'm asking 11,000, negotiable. Make an offer.
ACB_0054-16.jpg
ACB_0057-19.jpg
ACB_0058-20.jpg

Last edited:
It should have been a 5 speed if its a 1983 BJ42? Just want to clarify. Might be a big difference from what different countries of their own specs.

It should have been a 5 speed if its a 1983 BJ42? Just want to clarify. Might be a big difference from what different countries of their own specs.

Probably just my way of thinking. There are five gears. One just happens to be reverse. To my mind counting the reverse gear is a bit misleading. How is it normally counted?

The hole where the A/C compressor goes. New solenoid, ballast thingy (whatever that thing is, it was faulty when were took it to the mechanic so I made the seller replace it for me).
ACB_0090-52.jpg
ACB_0091-53.jpg
ACB_0015.jpg

Last edited:
The exhaust is not original. Ha. It's not in the best shape either; but even so, it's still serviceable.
ACB_0085-47.jpg
ACB_0084-46.jpg
ACB_0083-45.jpg

more photos.

The Wheels: On/Off switch does one thing: it turns on a little red light in the dash. There are stray wires out to the front bumper and my suspicion is that this switch is meant to power auxiliary lights.

The dash is 100% intact. It has not been cut or manipulated at all. The AM/FM/CD stereo works, has a removable face plate and all that jazz. There are two box speakers that sit in the rear space.

The glow-indicator to the left of the wheel still does its job. The ignition is worn a bit; the keys do not need to be in it in order for the vehicle to stay running.

Another thing: the emergency brake needs to be redone. It does not function. (This is not the drive-line e-brake, it is the rear drums.)
ACB_0100-62.jpg
ACB_0105-67.jpg
ACB_0111-73.jpg

Last edited:
If you'd like to see more detail that can be arranged. Just let me know. If you'd like to come by to see it in person that's fine too. I'll give you my phone number in a private message.
ACB_0051-13.jpg
ACB_0009.jpg
BJ 42 - 4_Page_6.jpg

Still Available? Any fellow mudders looked at this cruiser ? South American cruisers are usaully rust buckets. This one looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom