Fodee build "Where it's at" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fjfodee

At a Medium Pace
SILVER Star
Threads
Well it's been in the works for a looooong time, and still is. Figured I would start a build thread so I could get a little motivation and criticism (good and bad).

Sooo, here's where I'm at...

I'll start with the rebuild of the 2F. Engine was in great shape. No wear in the cylinders and everything was nice and clean upon tear down. Took the rods, crank, and flywheel to the machine shop and had everything balanced. Gave the cylinders a nice hone, replaced cam bearings, sent the cam and lifters to Delta Camshaft for a grind. Buttoned everything back up with Toyota and Fel-Pro gaskets...

Mpics 025.JPG
Mpics 026.JPG

Here you can see the machining on the caps.

Mpics 028.JPG

Removed the Welch plugs from the oil galley. Drilled tapped and replaced with larger pipe plugs. Welch plugs were in good shape upon removal, but are prone to failure. Figured I would fix that since I was already there.

Mpics 029.JPG

That 2F block is a thing of beauty. Also, it's a terrible shame you have to rebuild it in such an awful little un-equipped shop. :flipoff2: Continue on, sorry to muck up your thread!

Awesome work Mark! 2F looks really great- I wish I was half as mechanically inclined...

:popcorn:

Also milled .080 off the head, added a gear reduction starter, all new mounts for the motor and trans, and threw in the D.U.I. that I have had for some time now. A couple more shots of the engine....

Mpics 034.JPG
Mpics 035.JPG

Got a split case from Georg a few years back. It was in really good condition, but I went ahead and put new bearings in it along with a few other odds and ends. Mated it to the 4.7 Toybox and then the 4spd. Had to tear the 4spd down in order to put the output shaft in it for the Toybox. Went ahead and threw in new input and output bearings while I was there. I built my own twin stick setup, but am still trying to figure out which route I want to take for the toybox shifter. Would really like a triple stick that is all in one place.

Mpics 046.JPG

Your triple-sticked, creepy crawler is cool and all, but that is a truly SWEET skateboard you have there. :flipoff2:
Your kiddies like to use your shop as a play area too, huh?!

Really nice setup, Mark. Very impressive.

Lol..yeah Justin, I know how to Ollie. ;)
Kids spend a lot of time playing in the 40 as well as Jays old 80. Especially my 3 yr old. He's hard on stuff tho, I have to watch him close.

Nice! I really like the air breather!
So, a custom grind on the cam?
Looks like a good bit off the rods. How far out of balance were they?
Also, what's your compression ratio at with .080 off the head?

Nice! I really like the air breather!
So, a custom grind on the cam?
Looks like a good bit off the rods. How far out of balance were they?
Also, what's your compression ratio at with .080 off the head?

Did the "RV" grind on the cam. Supposed to match the head real well.
Don't remember how much the rotating assembly was out, but I do remember the machinist telling me that it was in the top 5 that he's seen out of balance. Which from what I've read is not uncommon for the 2F.
Compression is high 8's or so. Never really did the math. Just went by what the 2F guru's here on Mud recommended.
I've probably got several days worth of reading under my belt from researching and such....

Did the "RV" grind on the cam. Supposed to match the head real well.
Don't remember how much the rotating assembly was out, but I do remember the machinist telling me that it was in the top 5 that he's seen out of balance. Which from what I've read is not uncommon for the 2F.
Compression is high 8's or so. Never really did the math. Just went by what the 2F guru's here on Mud recommended.
I've probably got several days worth of reading under my belt from researching and such....

Yeah, I honestly don't know anything at all about the 2F lol. I would think though, with higher compression and a little advance you should pick up a decent amount of low end torque over stock.
And, yeah, the rods look like they were pretty far out. Looks like they ran out of room on the pad and had to take some off the sides. It should run smooth now though!

Built a (for the most part) flat belly skid out of some angle, and some 1/4 and 3/8 flat plate. Burned some holes thru the frame with the plasma, then sleeved with some tube. That took some time making sure that everything lined up perfect before cutting holes in the frame. I was limited to where I could put the mounting bolts, hopefully they will hold up.

The only way for me to support the tcase assembly was to use a mini truck tcase mount. Since the Toybox is a low range box out of a mini, that was fairly easy to achieve. Not sure if you can tell by the pics, but I cut one large hole and counter sunk four mounting holes into the skid. This way I could have a smooth surface on the bottom while the mount supports the tcases. I plan on doing some sort of re-enforcement on the skid to give it some rigidity.

Mpics 039.JPG
Mpics 042.JPG

Sure enough....can you make me some diff armor while you're at it Mark? :D

Haven't really decided on the type of driveshaft to run yet (square or round). Whichever route I take, I plan to try and make the front and rear close to the same length. As for the front, I would like to run a straight shaft from the front output to some sort of bearing support. Then from there down to the pinion would be the same length as rear.

Here you can kinda see what I'm talking about. Don't really want to cut the skid for regular driveshaft to move. Thoughts??

Mpics 046.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom