FNG (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I'm the new guy. Never been big on online forums. I'm in Central California and I'm moving out of state in a month. I have an '87 FJ60 that isn't in shape to make the trip. Either I get it fixed enough to keep and take with me, and hopefully restore like I've been daydreaming since I got it, or it's time to find the rig a new home. I'd appreciate some advice. Thanks, all.

So, I'm the new guy. Never been big on online forums. I'm in Central California and I'm moving out of state in a month. I have an '87 FJ60 that isn't in shape to make the trip. Either I get it fixed enough to keep and take with me, and hopefully restore like I've been daydreaming since I got it, or it's time to find the rig a new home. I'd appreciate some advice. Thanks, all.
What are the 5 Ws? Aka details.

What are the 5 Ws? Aka details.
How much do you want to know? The gist is that it has the original 2F motor but there is a leak somewhere. I've been told it's in the manifold but there are so few shops in my area that still work on carbureted motors that I've haven't been able to get it checked out and I don't know enough to do it myself. Being in California, it's getting close to impossible to be able to get it to pass the new smog requirements so I figured it might be time to pull the trigger on a motor swap. I know there are a lot of options for that, too and, where I'm moving, such drastic measures might not even be necessary. Could be that an old but in shape carbureted motor will be fine. Then it's just a question of wanting to do a motor swap and less needing to to be able to keep it.

I'm not sure if that ticks off enough of the W's you were asking for. Feel free to keep asking. I appreciate it.

You could pay ($1000-$2000) to have it trailered to your new home.

If you are moving out of state, why are you worrying about being CA smog legal? an intake manifold leak is par for the course with these truck and not too difficult to repair. It is a straight forward job that isn't really impacted by the truck having a carburetor.

Where in the Central Valley are you located? If near Stockton, take the truck to Georg at Valley Hybrids and get his opinion. You could have the truck "checked out"--inspected, tested, etc., and you would be in a much better position to make a decision what to do.

If you are moving out of state, why are you worrying about being CA smog legal? an intake manifold leak is par for the course with these truck and not too difficult to repair. It is a straight forward job that isn't really impacted by the truck having a carburetor.

Where in the Central Valley are you located? If near Stockton, take the truck to Georg at Valley Hybrids and get his opinion. You could have the truck "checked out"--inspected, tested, etc., and you would be in a much better position to make a decision what to do.
I see your point, but I've got to get it operable here so that I can move it to there and to get it operable includes getting it's smog certs up to date, which I can't do until I get the motor fixed up.

I'm in Fresno and I just talked with George about it. If you happen to know of any reputable shops in my area, I'd love to hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom