Flushing Brake Fluid GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Flushed the brake system this weekend and the GX system ended up being one of the easiest systems Ive ever flushed. Also thought I'd share a handy tool I made years ago that helps out. For the tool, i used a old soap container, works best if you find something that has a plug on the lid you can connect the hose to in between calipers so it doesn't leak all over. Make the hole size match the tube diameter. I used some fishtank air pump tubing (I think) that was laying around. front brakes are tradition but rears are on some kind of pump.
-put the GX on level ground.
-take off the brake fluid reservoir cap
-put some fluid in the bottle you made and make sure the tube is submersed in the fluid
-put your wrench on the fitting, use the closed end not the open end, then slide the tube on the bleeder valve over the wrench. I use a long tube, so I can see it and the bottle is not under the vehicle with me and in the way,
-have someone turn the GX to ON, and crack the bleeder valve. always work from farthest to closest to reservoir
-Rear brakes are on some kind of pump.
-leave pumping and move to the reservoir, as the driver is holding down the brake pedel the fluid is being pumped out, when the fluid is barely visible in the bottom of the reservoir, start adding clean fresh fluid and fill to the top, I did this twice.
-go back and close bleeder valve and then release brake pedal.
-Move to driver side rear
-push brake, crack valve close valve once clear, release pedal.
-Move to passenger front
-top off fluid.
-driver pump brakes 3 times and hold down, crack valve, when fluid slows down close valve, repeat until fluid is clear
-move to drivers side, pump, crack valve, close repeat until fluid is clear. I like to use the writing on the back of the bottle, each pump moves the fluid up about 1 sentence line.
-top off reservoir
-Very simple, and quick on this rig. took me 25 min.
-$7 of Dot 3 fluid.
-fluid removed was black, could hardly see sunlight through it. nasty.
I didnt see anything on here when i searched before doing so I thought I would share.

image000001.jpg

image000000.jpg

The brake system is split, front vs. rear. The rear uses the ABS pump you hear on startup. You can use the pump to quickly bleed the rears, Techstream has a function to turn the pump on and it continuously runs and pumps fluid through the rears (you can also have the pump run by having someone hold the brake pedal I believe). Once that is done, you can bleed the fronts any conventional way, 2 person pump and hold; pressure bleed or vacuum bleed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom