FJ's gonna replace Outback (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After about three months of having a 05 Outback as a fuel efficient daily driver; compared to my 80 series anyway, I've decided the FJ Cruiser doesn't look so bad after all. The Outback is a nice little car, but visibility sucks; I've never owned a car before, always Toyota trucks and Cruisers. It's so low to the ground that every time I get in I end up sitting on my nuts, so it's like a 5 minute procedure adjusting things to get comfortable before I can drive. Plus when I do drive it to the mountains, with 2 whitewater kayaks and my MTB plus my rocket box on top; it only gets like 18 miles to the gallon going up and down those moutain highways which kinda sucks, however it'll get about 24mpg around town if I go easy on it without all the crap on the top. But still.

Besides that, the Outback just seems kinda gay even though I've seen a lot of folks other than tree hugging lesbians driving them around here lately. But I don't feel too bad because dad bought a new RAV4 as a back and forth to work ride and I would say the RAV4 is a lot gayer than the Outback. It's funny seeing my father who is a peg legged former Marine with the beard and all getting out of his RAV4. All he needs is an eye patch now, he already has a Cockatoo for his shoulder.

Plus when my wife and I have another kid, the Outback is gonna be obsolete, there isn't any room behind the front seats for 2 car seats with kids in them, unless your a little fawker and have the front seats all of the way forward. I'm 6'3". As it is my almost 2 year old daughter is in the middle with both feet on the back of the front seats, I have to be careful with her legs when I'm putting her in. I just don't feel safe with my daughter in the car that low to the ground looking at everyone elses bumper. I saw a Explorer and a Taurus Sunday that hit head on, the Explorer rolled but I would still rather have been in it than the Taurus that was smushed all to hell. Not a pretty sight.

So by placing the FJ Cruiser in the same class as the Outback, it now seems like a better option. I know it's never going to replace my 72 FJ40, but it will probably get around 20 mpg highway/should anyway and could be driven everyday worrie free. Plus it will be a Toyota even if it is a funny looking taco4runner. At least I know that 4runners and Tacomas can handle more abuse offroad than an Outback.

Besides, I'll still have at least 2 real LandCruisers.

I got a Sequoia as the family hauler. 16mpg every day regardless. More room and safety than anyone needs. Doesn't get stuck in the winter. Makes the wife happy. We'll be replacing it with a 2005 in a couple weeks.

It's leased and the lease is up July 2nd. We're giving it back. Zero complaints at 40,000 miles, but it's a basic SR5 and we want to upgrade to a Limited with stuff like heated leather seats, GPS navigation, and the rear seat DVD entertainment system. It rocks as a do everything family hauler. It will be at Bergeron Toyota in Iron Mountain. I'm sure they'd be very happy to sell it to you if you want it!

I think your post makes a lot of sense. Most people are trying to compare the FJ Cruiser to a Land Cruiser and are very unhappy.

If you look at the FJ Cruiser as a daily driver/family SUV it is not a bad little ride. You just got to put it in the right category. Exterra, Outback, ect.

If it is anything like the ride and quality of my 2002 Taco it will be a great vehicle for everyday driving and the occasional trip to the Mountains. Nothing more, nothing less. I like it better then the new 4runner.

In a few years I might even consider a used FJ Cruiser for my daily driver.

If I want to wheel and smash stuff up, I got a old 40 & a old 4runner for that.

Jeff

Diddo on that atomicpunk51.......

Thinking a used FJ Cruiser would make a decent DD in a few years.

We'll have to keep our eye on the market for used (previously abused) ones.

I'm sure their sales figures are going to be very impressive on these new FJs!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom