FJ80 Tranny Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 92 FJ80 and it seems that when I slow down quickly and the tranny drops to a lower gear, it does it with a big "clunk". I know that in early Honda's, it was common but is it the same with Toyota? Thanks for your help.

(also accidently posted to cruiser tech forum. sorry about that)

:dunno:Yeah, I get the same thing with mine. What is your mileage? Been playing with the transmission kick down cable to see if I can take out some of that slop (cheap fix). Check your u-joints for wear and also check your d-shafts for play(rotation). Odds are your diffs are getting worn (like mine), some slop(the clunking) is normal and an indication that you need to get prepared to have 1 0r both diffs rebuilt. I am just saving up to do the rebuild, locker install and regear for both.
There are some recent threads on other things to check. Just explore and become familar with your rig and you'll know what to keep an eye on.
:)welcome aboard.

Thanks for the reply. I have about 138,000 miles so far. I haven't had the rig very long but it's the one I always wanted. It has the locking diff option from the factory and I don't know how many times it's been used. It's in great shape so I doubt it's been off the pavement much. As far as a diff rebuild, what kind of estimates have you had?

IMO the typical slop is in the transfer case. See if the slop goes away when you lock the center diff. Try not to do any sharp turns if on pavement :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom