FJ60 Restoration thread...I h8 rust! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a great 1985 metallic blue FJ60 with 103k miles on it in October. It had roof rust on both sides but everything else was great including interior. I drove it around various body shops but nobody wanted to touch it. Finally I met the guys American Custom Classics in Hollister, California and they shared the passion. My goal is to restore and preserve this truck for my three-year-old son. So we decided to chop the top. We will replace it with a top from another rig and rust proof the entire thing.

IMG_1589.JPG IMG_7972.JPG I bought a new roof from Cruiserparts and had it shipped. IMG_7973.JPG

Get acquainted with Georg (@orangefj45). He is up in Stockton, Valley Hybrids, and does nothing but Land Cruisers. He will be your main parts and knowledge base outside of here.

Thanks! I plan on heading over to see Georg once the body work is done. Here is a pic with the windshield out. My thinking is that water entered through the gaskets, evaporated to the roof internally and ate its way out.
IMG_7996.JPG IMG_7994.JPG

IMG_8016.JPG

Nice! I plan to do the same thing to mine one day.

Frequently, roof rust is due to failed caulking in the rain gutter bottoms (and other roof connection points). Be sure your new roof is well-caulked there, and then park the dumb thing indoors, out of the sun (unlike all the POs).

Congrats! Look forward to seeing how the roof turns out. I'm looking into the same swap for my 62. I'm in Santa Cruz and the salt air is eating my roof. Can i ask how much they are charging you? I might be next.

Thanks

Man...keep the detailed pics coming. I have two that need to go under the knife like this. I have some ideas of how to best approach them, but will be great to see it done step by step.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom