FJ60 Fuel gauge shows empty at 15 gallons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FWIW, here's the 2019 (Q1) Prices I can find for the following:
Sender (OEM new): 80$
Gauge (used): 75$
Wiring? ...'yer elbow grease and knowledge.
I bought my sender straight from Japan at least 6 months ago and it was around $86 (I think) shipping maybe $30. Don’t buy a used gauge, I bought a used 62 gauge and it was bunk. Last I knew they were still avail new, that’s what I keep meaning to do next.
And btw, not a man, I’m a female. Honestly tho, just save your cash and become more acquainted w/ the trip button.
Felicity

I'd like to know if that access hatch in the cargo area lets you pull the sender
Yes easily once you can get the screws removed from the top of it. The little plate in the cargo area is easy to access but the top of the sender can be a ton of work. Use lots of PB and the chisel and hammer technique to get the screws undone.
Also the wiring right there in the top of the sender could be the problem so pull the clip, scour the copper tang and hook it back up. Might be the easiest fix. My old truck only required that and the gauge started working again. Like I said, start w/ the easiest and check those things off the list before the harder pricier stuff.

Hi, Personally I use a very small vise grip on those small screws and also the small screws on the windshield wiper arm screws, no stripped screws. Then coat the screws with anti seize and reinstall years later they come right out with a screw driver. Mike

Still available and yes you can replace it without dropping the tank... it comes with new screws and new rubber seal

20190201_123508.jpg

Yes easily once you can get the screws removed from the top of it. The little plate in the cargo area is easy to access but the top of the sender can be a ton of work. Use lots of PB and the chisel and hammer technique to get the screws undone.

Also the wiring right there in the top of the sender could be the problem so pull the clip, scour the copper tang and hook it back up. Might be the easiest fix. My old truck only required that and the gauge started working again. Like I said, start w/ the easiest and check those things off the list before the harder pricier stuff.

Excellent call and technique suggestion. I'll absolutely start easy, and work up, as you're suggesting. Thanks so much for the help and suggestions.

Hi, Personally I use a very small vise grip on those small screws and also the small screws on the windshield wiper arm screws, no stripped screws. Then coat the screws with anti seize and reinstall years later they come right out with a screw driver. Mike

Agreed. Huge fan of the mini-vice to remove old bolts/screws. Thank you.

Still available and yes you can replace it without dropping the tank... it comes with new screws and new rubber seal

Thanks for this Image and 411! Appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom