FJ60 coilovers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What do you think? Are coils worth it? Or should I just to a SOA?

I'm thinking of doing coilovers in the front and doing a SOA in the rear. Probably go with a 3 or 4 link with a panard/traction bar. Right now, with my 2.5" BDS SUA lift, my 60 rides like a tank. I went out wheeling a few weeks ago with some Heep guys and man did they ride a lot nicer than my 60! They were driving a ZJ and a TJ. I also know of a 60 up here that has coils all around with 39.5 TSLs on stock axles/berfs. :eek:

Check it out:
post-10-81736-Nick_stuck.JPG

post-10-79658-Trail_1a.JPG

14Sep2003 (UTC -7)

Sounds like a great idea! Coil springs are always good for human passengers, and offer better articulation than leafs.

However, for the price of conversion, how about you get an FZJ-80 instead? Just a thought.

or just transplant the housings, and suspension arms with some chassis mounts, you can buy the individual control arm chassis brackets from Toyota.

Or like someone I know who has put a 75 ute body on an 80 chassis,with a frame rear, 38's and a fuel injected 502, just swap the 60 body to an 80 chassis.....

[quote author=drexx link=board=12;threadid=5259;start=msg41284#msg41284 date=1063607330]
14Sep2003 (UTC -7)

Sounds like a great idea! Coil springs are always good for human passengers, and offer better articulation than leafs.

However, for the price of conversion, how about you get an FZJ-80 instead? Just a thought.
[/quote]

So your saying buying a whole FZJ-80 would be cheaper than going coilovers? A fictitious '93 80 w/ 150,000 miles on it runs about ~$12,000 according to NADA. You think a coilover conversion just for the front would cost this much?

I would love an 80! So would my wife, it will be our next cruiser! 80s rule!
50.gif

[quote author=the shed guy link=board=12;threadid=5259;start=msg41293#msg41293 date=1063611889]
or just transplant the housings, and suspension arms with some chassis mounts, you can buy the individual control arm chassis brackets from Toyota.

Or like someone I know who has put a 75 ute body on an 80 chassis,with a frame rear, 38's and a fuel injected 502, just swap the 60 body to an 80 chassis.....
[/quote]

I kind want to stay with my 60 axles as I'm getting some "special lockers" for it that can't be used, ASFAIK, with 80 series axles! :D

I wouldn't the coilover front conversion should cost more than $2000, that's a lot cheaper than a 80! I'll just do SOA for the rear, maybe coil the rear later.

15Sep2003 (UTC -7)

[quote author=Overlord link=board=12;threadid=5259;start=msg41299#msg41299 date=1063615781]
So your saying buying a whole FZJ-80 would be cheaper than going coilovers? A fictitious '93 80 w/ 150,000 miles on it runs about ~$12,000 according to NADA. You think a coilover conversion just for the front would cost this much?

I would love an 80! So would my wife, it will be our next cruiser!
[/quote]

Well, for about $5,000 from a Cruiser shop that I know, you'd get longer control arms for front and rear, coils, long-travel shocks, and I think a four-link suspension and axles. Additionally, there's the diff lockers, ABS, disc brakes front and rear... and the swap for a bigger engine.... :D And then factor in the cost of downtime (if your rig is a daily driver), and the costs gets to pile up....

ride quality comes from the rear suspension, handling from the front, so changing the front to coil over only will be dissapointing for you, but reverse the shackles to rear of front spring, and coil the rear and ride will improve greatly.

[quote author=the shed guy link=board=12;threadid=5259;start=msg41308#msg41308 date=1063623075]
ride quality comes from the rear suspension, handling from the front, so changing the front to coil over only will be dissapointing for you, but reverse the shackles to rear of front spring, and coil the rear and ride will improve greatly.
[/quote]

Your talking about a shackle reversal, right?

How about coilovers all around then! :D

Would a SOA ride just as nice?

yes, yes, and no.............

15Sep2003 (UTC -7)

[quote author=Overlord link=board=12;threadid=5259;start=msg41299#msg41299 date=1063615781]

I would love an 80! So would my wife, it will be our next cruiser! 80s rule!
50.gif

[/quote]

I just checked out www.cars.com and I saw that there are several FZJ-80's in there that listed for $8,000 to $10,000. That may give your coil-over FJ-60 plan a run for the money ;) The FJ-80s are cheaper, but only very slightly.

em and a freind did a 1/4 eliptic to his yj for 2000 and it will flex more than anything. we did custom everything (his brother is a welder by profession) and we put new d44 axels under it also. if you got freinds or the know how then you could do it for not too much
'

www.claytonoffroad.com

The suspension system this guy came up with for jeeps is awsome...a crap load of guys from this area run clayton's setup. The guy who won NEUROC legons class was running his setup on a TJ...all i gotta say is coils rule. I want to talk to him and see if we could adapt it to an 40! Use TJ springs, make spring buckets top and bottom, i think it would make for a killer setup!

Stew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom