FJ60 catalytic converter rattle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am suddenly experiencing a catalytic converter rattle. The sound is definitely coming from inside the cat. There are a few threads where people say they have experienced this on a 60 and a 62. Those threads are old and they say that replacing the cats fixed the issue. Given that you can't actually find a cat nowadays, and that my state doesn't require an emissions test, is there anything wrong with NOT fixing this?

The original old catalytic converter puts a lot of back pressure on the exhaust. You can definitely feel (and hear) the difference. It feels like it's strangling the engine at higher RPMs.
There is a modern free flowing cat that can fit your exhaust. There's also a straight pipe available (or was available) from Manafre that replaces the cat.
While you may not have smog tests where you are, you're going to still have to smell your own exhaust, and a 2F without a cat really stinks.
There's some metal mesh grating inside the original cat that retained the magic beads. A piece of it has probably broken free and is rattling around inside the shell.

The original old catalytic converter puts a lot of back pressure on the exhaust. You can definitely feel (and hear) the difference. It feels like it's strangling the engine at higher RPMs.
There is a modern free flowing cat that can fit your exhaust. There's also a straight pipe available (or was available) from Manafre that replaces the cat.
While you may not have smog tests where you are, you're going to still have to smell your own exhaust, and a 2F without a cat really stinks.
There's some metal mesh grating inside the original cat that retained the magic beads. A piece of it has probably broken free and is rattling around inside the shell.

Thanks. Do you know who makes the free flowing cat?

Mine doesn't look OEM. It doesn't have that pancake look.

Yours is rattling because the honeycomb inside has started to disintegrate. A blocked CAT can do a surprising amount of damage.... Best to replace ASAP.

All CATs available today are relatively much more free flowing than the OE one. They're also much more cheaply made.

If you wanna go cheap just go to a local Mom 'n Pop Exhaust place (please stay away from the chains) and have them weld in a Universal CAT.

Magnaflow makes good stuff and they'll know which to order and what's available in your area.

Otherwise, you can order one from Rockauto and install yourself.

Or, you can cut the end flanges off your old CAT and have a shop weld up a straight pipe (they prolly won't install it), but as OSS says, it'll stink worse than Kalifornia politics.

Had a piece rattling around years ago , I picked up a few ponies when I replaced it with straight pipe. It must have been clogged by smog!

Guess I need to learn another welding skill

It is currently welded in. I have ordered a replacement. Next weekend's project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom