Fj60-62 license plate wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, Can you still buy the wire with connectors that goes from the license plate wire through the tailgate to under the truck? Mine must be broke inside the case because I’m only getting 6 volts to the light so no light up. Thanks, Mike

the license plate light on my 84’ is grounded through the three bolts that hold the plate bracket, I assume yours is the same. if yours is severely rusted, that may be your issue. You can remove the inner plate on the tailgate and see the three bolts I am talking about. Maybe inspect those for rust and clean off if you find some.

Thanks not my problem. I’m only getting 6 volts through the supply wire to the lights.

And you have 12V on one side of the connector, but not the other?
Oddly enough, I think I recall having a similar issue in my wiring when redoing my tail light harness. I had no power or very little power on the wire that feeds my plate lamps but plenty of ground. I believe they would illuminate, but only a little. Tried to resolve it a few times by following the whole thing back to the fuse panel but never found my issue. Everyone always wants to point you in the direction of your ground wires.
I ended up tapping for power from my parking lights. I was already completely rebuilding the harness from the plug at the Left rear corner to both tail lamps and the plate lights, so it just made sense. That way any time I turn on my lights, the plate lights are lit. Been just fine

Ground is fine. As these wires get older they build up resistance and internally break reducing voltage..

Maybe its just corroded in the plug connection at your left rear cargo panel. test your voltage there and work back towards the front I guess

All voltage good except for the wire in question.

That wire ties into the rear of the harness at the midway point of the cross member of the frame. You can pull out the rubber plug there and disconnect the wire in question that runs to the license plate light. You will have to obviously take the tailgate panel I spoke of previously. I literally just did the same thing a week ago, just replaced the wire and all is good.

I honestly don’t know if there is a part number, I used 12 or 16 gauge wire and soldered it up to make a new piece, sorry. If you’ve never soldered wire, this would be an easy project to learn with. If it would help, I can take the piece out I made, take a picture of it and share it with you. Let me know. Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom