Builds FJ45SWB recovered from a barn (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Current phase of this FJ45 project is building a front axle to upgrade:
-drums to V6 4runner disc brakes
-8mm diff studs to 10mm
-ball & claw to CV joints
-coarse spline shafts to fine spline
-Warn hubs to Aisin hubs
-small pattern 11mm knuckles to large pattern 12mm
-4.11 coarse pinion to 3.70 fine pinion....

Housing is a 1977 FJ40. Knuckles are 1986 FJ60. Brake calipers are 88-newer 4runner. Diff is 1983 3.70.

Here's the cleaned housing with swivel housings hanging in place.
DSC00033.JPG

Cleaned & painted 3.70 diff, cooking in front of heatlamp.
DSC00036.JPG

Just for fun, compare the size of the 85-newer steering arms with the E-78 steering arms.
DSC00034.JPG

DSC00035.JPG

This has slowed to a halt because I don't have a long inner axleshaft for 68-84 FJ40.
Tomorrow I might pick up a donor. If not, I'll find one somewhere.

When the rad comes back from the now-defunct local radiator shop (I was their last customer) :frown:, it's time to reassemble.

Jim,

Try Franks Radiator in Pataskala for your next one. I didn’t have him do mine as it was too far gone but real old school guy. Carryin on a lost trade not for the nostalgia of it all but because that’s what he has done forever. Pressure tank bath water that hasn’t been changed in 50 years. Rorkis put me on to him but went New instead.

I screwed that quote up but you got the idea:

Try Franks Radiator in Pataskala for your next one. I didn’t have him do mine as it was too far gone but real old school guy. Carryin on a lost trade not for the nostalgia of it all but because that’s what he has done forever. Pressure tank bath water that hasn’t been changed in 50 years. Rorkis put me on to him but went New instead.

Front axle assembly completed!
Found an axleshaft in Alberto's stash. Thanks Alberto!
That allowed total knuckle assembly, but ran into another problem. As y'all know, the FJ60 steering arms are too big for FJ40 TRE, so the usual fix is a bronze starter bushing pressed into the arm. Well, when the bushings from FLAPS were pressed in, they didn't press in, they just fell right through the hole. Fawk! :mad: This has worked many times before.

The problem was a cataloging error. When the PN for the correct starter bushing was crossed to NAPA number something got lost and the bushings went from being the larger drive end bush, to the smaller commutator end bushing. Got the right NAPA number, pressed it in, installed the TR assembly, done.

img_20180307_120219423-jpg.1648506

I was doing about 80 last night in the LV thanks to the 3.73s. Had a lot left to go too. I love the 3.73s with the 4 speed. Great combo.

The 3.70 gear was chosen because current tire is H78-15 Snow Cruisers. If these 1977-79 era tires crap out, the plan is generic 30x9.50 A/T radials.

Anybody know what these lockouts came off of? They are ASCO, so an older Aisin hub, and the knob was blue, and outer dial was painted silver.
IMG_20180309_112726.jpg

Hubs should have been off a pig.. 76-78 era, most likely long hub.
Dial is same as Aisin,

What are your plans for brake master/booster?
Trying it w/ a non-boosted dual circuit 1" MC at first. There is anecdotal evidence it will work, but putting the numbers in a brake calculator sez that 3/4" is a more workable size. The 1" MC was sitting on the shelf, so no cost to try it.

Quick update, the new Frt axle is slung under there, good used KYB GasAJust shocks at all 4 corners. Frt FJ40 driveshaft installed. Saginaw to Cruiser drag link is improved w/newer stronger TREs, new poly boots, better geometry.

Still no rear d-shaft and no brake lines, but it drove outta the shop in FWD low range, w/ a very effective parking brake to keep things from getting outta hand.

Leftover 1962 parts for sale:
Frt FJ40/45 driveshaft,
Rr FJ45 driveshaft,
Frt FJ40/45 axle assembly with good Warn hubs, might fit FJ25?
Rr axle assembly, centered diff, has mounts for FJ45 sway bar. Fits 40 & 45. Might fit 25?

No reasonable offer refused.

Poser pic with vintage wheels, tires and hubcaps:
IMG_20180323_181246248_HDR.jpg

Somehow missed the list of parts and only saw “No reasonable offer refused”.

Thought the 45 was up for sale. It looks great!

Who needs stinkin’ rear wheel drive anyhow?

Is that “Rr FJ45 driveshaft“ for a centered rear diff setup? If so, what would it take to get to 83670?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom