Builds FJ45SWB recovered from a barn (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mustache? I call:censor:

I might just fly back there and check it out. You never know about me.;) Do you know the dates for CMCC yet?

Dropped the cable off at the post office.

:cheers:

First attempt at resolving the transfercase-floor rib interference issue didn't work. Tried removing BH mounts and dropping case down several inches. This did not yield sufficient clearance to do a good job with plaz & grinder.

2nd attempt meant actually pulling the powerteam out of the chassis. Not a real big deal, since the only thing holding it in there was front mounts. Then the box beam was plaz-ed off the bottom of the floor, followed by some further smoothing/trimming with 4" grinder. The floor was also trimmed off a bit where the clutch fork was a little too close.

Engine is back in chassis with 1/2" clearance everywhere.

Now we can resume forward progress.

What's done is done. You're a big step closer to making CMCC, which is a :bounce: for me.

For those finding this thread years down the road, here are a couple of thoughts for other resolutions. On my LWB 45, I got the cab clearance I needed by doing a one inch body lift on the cab. This required loosening all the fender bolts on the front clip to allow the fenders and aprons to follow the raised position of the hood. I did not have to deal with creating spacers for the running boards because I replaced them with sliders.

On @FJ45Dude's LWB, using flattened pucks on the bell housing mounts, along with a couple of body washers between the front motor mounts and motor mount brackets was enough to tip the motor up, thereby tipping the transfer linkage below the floorboard brace.

Having never really looked at the underside of a fixed top 45, I cannot say if this would have worked for Jim. If I remember at CMCC, I will take a peek under his rig and make an educated guess.

Best

Mark

P.S. It would have been interesting to see what the clearance was/is on MY H42-equipped SWB45; however, when I crawled under there to try and get an 'easy' answer for Jim, I noted that I had never made the rod to connect the hi-lo to the bellcrank on the BH.:doh:

Can you post up any pictures and further discription of the interferance you had with the tcase issues? I have a 64 manufacture year lwb 45 that I will be using the same transmission amd tcase in.

On @FJ45Dude's LWB, using flattened pucks on the bell housing mounts, along with a couple of body washers between the front motor mounts and motor mount brackets was enough to tip the motor up, thereby tipping the transfer linkage below the floorboard brace.

Having never really looked at the underside of a fixed top 45, I cannot say if this would have worked for Jim. If I remember at CMCC, I will take a peek under his rig and make an educated guess.

I forgot to mention that after trimming the box brace off the floor, the engine/tranny assembly was test fitted with new engine mounts all around. The tall (not yet fatigued) rear pucks only gave ~1/4" clearance under floor to top of H-L shifter. Swapped in the flat 1962 pucks, set it back down, now we have 1/2" clearance under floor. The new frt mounts probably help a teeny bit as well.

Oh. I forgot the trim needed for ps clutch fork. Good call on reminding peeps of that.

What causes the change in location? Does the 4spd bell housing position the transmission and tcase differently? Otherwise the 4spd trans is the same length correct?

U can move the fork to the ds but it's close to exhaust. Or were u asking about length. Cause I never kept a 3 speed long enough to measure the difference. Figure since the driveshaft were different then length was

Yes, the 4spd is about 3" longer than the 3spd, which positions the T-case back that amount. The stock floor is clearanced (humped up a bit) above the case and vacuum FD diaphragm. With the 4spd in there, the vac diaphragm is at the rear of the clearance hump, and the T-case is right behind the clearance hump, directly under a box beam that goes across underneath the floor.

The clutch fork &slave can be mounted on either side. IMO it's best to mount it away from the exhaust downpipe that wraps around the slave when mounted on LH side.

Looking for a part:
Radiator under tray or splash pan.
I know it's not necessary, but before the radiator is installed & filled up just wanted to see if somebody has one cheap. Imperfect is OK, fits w/ the rest of the patina.

Jim

Try reaching out to @3puppies. I've got a hunch.

Looking for a part:
Radiator under tray or splash pan.
I know it's not necessary, but before the radiator is installed & filled up just wanted to see if somebody has one cheap. Imperfect is OK, fits w/ the rest of the patina.

I think I have one. Let me check this weekend.

P.S.

I did the one-inch body lift on the entire truck, bed and all with some 1-inch poly-blocks.

If not, I should have one. Same as 40' right? Let me know.

Same as 40 AFAIK. The only issue is the radiator moved slightly forward at some point in the 70s, so a 1960s era would be a sure fit. Could prolly make a later one work by redrilling a couple holes.

Is this what you're looking for?
P1040280.JPG

I put it up on my 45 and it looks to fit. My 45 doesn't have any captive nuts in the frame for securing it. I suspect this either came off a 55 or a 45 LV. It's about 28-inches wide. $15 shipped to 43130. dan dot gottsch at gmail is my PP if you want it.

Dan

P1040281.JPG

Thanks Dan.:)

But I think that is the FJ55 part that screw to the bottom of the frame. The 40/45 piece goes inside the frame rails and has folded up outside edges. Unfortunately I don't have any out of the vehicle to take a pic of...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom