FJ45 max payload and tow rating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody know what the offical rating is for a FJ45 ?

my 78 is rated as a 3/4 ton(1500lbs) which i think is correct when i subtracted the net weight from the gross weight its about that. its rated to tow 4000lbs.

there are plenty of places that make extra-heavy duty springs for the 45s and 75s which the mines all use on their vehicles. That about doubles the possible weight limits. Or our 47 has coils under the back fitted on top of the leaf packs. That does a good job. It never hits the bump-stops.

But we have always been told that the 45s were rated at 1 tonne which if onlineconversion.com is correct is 2204.6 pounds. Is a pound standard?

Sam

fj45 long beds were rated a one ton, actaully 2200ishlbs. Not sure of tow rating but I would guess 3500lbs

Being a welder.. i have put a lot of steel and sod in the bed of my 45 at times. but i would say the payload is nowhere near 2000 lbs.. i know they say it is.. but with a couple hundred in the bed i can already see the wheel wells movin on down... as for towing.. i have towed my 40 on a trailer behind it.. the biggest advantage/determining factor... 350 motor.. and 4whell disc conversion..

[quote author=bodacious link=board=1;threadid=4846;start=msg36914#msg36914 date=1062465158]
Being a welder.. i have put a lot of steel and sod in the bed of my 45 at times. but i would say the payload is nowhere near 2000 lbs.. i know they say it is.. but with a couple hundred in the bed i can already see the wheel wells movin on down... as for towing.. i have towed my 40 on a trailer behind it.. the biggest advantage/determining factor... 350 motor.. and 4whell disc conversion..
[/quote]

don't forget that 45's have overload springs which endevor to keep the springs flat at the last part of travel, so they don't bottom out on the wheel wells with a bit more weight...

45s and 47s tend to have a much higher payload, and go a lot faster if they aren't yours. If you havn't cracked the tonne mark (on someone elses car of course) your just not trying hard enough.

i did over 1 tonne in my hj45 troopy. 24 people in the back one night coming back from the pubs. :eek: no one expected that

we did over 1300 in the trayback. 3 people, big steel cage and 35 roos. suffice to say we felt no bumps. I had 8 people in my hardtop shorty once. 2 in the front, 6 in the back. it has a mod plate for 6people. but only has seats for 5. Theres no way i'm doing that again.

my hardtop shorty has only ever had 4 people in it, (no one else is brave enough to drive with me, something about petrol engine, more bodyroll and lighter weight than my Hj turning them off.) mine has a compliance plate for 2, had seating for 6, and now only has seating for 4 due to a toolbox bolted to the wheelarches.

my hj didn't bottom out the wheels in the wheel arches once with all those people in the back (ohh yeah, i forgot too, 3 + driver in the front, with buckets) young and stupid once... last year

i guess the only bad thing when driving with a bunch of weight in the bed was that the truck was tilted up and my headlights looked like hi-beams to oncoming traffic.. there were a few pissed of motorists

dont feel too bad, the old sealed beams dispurse most of the light. But 100 and 105 series have the brightest highbeams i know of standard, and they are all aimed super high, even with nothing in the back. I rarely spotlight people who highbeam me unless they persist for a long time. But most of the cars i have highbeamed, i highbeamed by mistake cause they were 100 series that couldn't help it. A quick split second flash usually reminds them to crank them down a bit when they get home thou.

Sam

my friend did like a 6 inch lift to his 4 runner and never adjusted his lights, they go over the roof of the cars in front on low. it's a pain in the ass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom