FJ40 Rear Drum Brake Sanity Check (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OKMike

SILVER Star
Threads
77 FJ40. Replecaing all the rear drum brake components.

Quick sanity check--the front spring (the one closest to the front of the vehicle goes behind the shoes; the rear spring (the one closest to the back) goes on the outside and the front wheel cylinder adjuster goes on the bottom; the rear wheel cylinder adjuster goes on the top, right?

Yeah, I know everything is filthy in the pic. The PO did some serious off roading. :)

IMG-3558.JPG

It matters, the wheel cylinder adjuster nut needs to line up with the window in the backing plate.

Thanks a ton guys. My son and I installed both sides today without too much drama. Our engine is at the machine shop so we can't test drive/stop yet but everything is installed per the photos above. Didn't have much clearance between the shoes and the new rotors which everyone says is good (less space to deal with come adjustment time). I bought the Toyota brake adjusting tool from Cruiser Parts a few minutes ago so when the beast finally gets rolling we'll be able to adjust the tension on the rear drums without too much trouble (knock wood).

My next brake related adventure is coming up soon. I replaced all the hard and soft brake lines as part of the rebuild and sure as God made little green apples some of the connections/fittings are going to leak. I can't wait to slither around under the truck in a soothing balm of DOT 3 trying to get flared fittings to seat. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom