FJ40 OEM wheel powder coating RAL codes (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've got 32x11.50-15 bfg all terrains on mine and I'd like to see a set of those 33 swampers on there. I also saw an older thread on here where someone used Massey Fergason grey and it looked great. However I'm getting ready to sand blast and powder coat my wheels and this will surely help. How wide are the oem wheels?

I believe 5.5".

Thanks. I was mainly referring to your previous post which seemed to indicate pictures were supposed to be attached but nothing showed up.

I posted three pics in post #4 and one pic in post #11, no pics in post #19.

Which post doesn't have pictures attached? When I look at posts #4 and #11, they are there in living color..

Post 11...... I cant see the photo and the posts after 11 seem to indicate others can't either. Maybe I will try a different browser, it could just be me.

Repost of post #11. Please let me know you can see it now by 'liking' it! Thanks!

Taken outside, cloudy day in Massachusetts. The OEM wheel is covered in dust.

upload_2017-2-8_22-53-23.png

Last edited:
Great post, as I am looking to do the wheels on my FJ45. Just one query: in post #4 you agreed RAL 7036 was the best match, but you went with RAL 7037 (#11/26). Any reason?

Elsewhere on MUD I am sure someone used Concrete Grey RAL 7023. Looks quite close in your pics.

Great post, as I am looking to do the wheels on my FJ45. Just one query: in post #4 you agreed RAL 7036 was the best match, but you went with RAL 7037 (#11/26). Any reason?

Elsewhere on MUD I am sure someone used Concrete Grey RAL 7023. Looks quite close in your pics.

@Snowbound
Sorry! Made a typo which I just corrected.

I used the RAL-7036.

Man i love PC wheels but im really leaning towards paint haha. Bit easier to touch up if you plan to have some fun in the sticks and mud

I'm leaning towards paint also. Going with Massey Ferguson gray that I picked up several years back. Recently bought some bfg mt 33x10.5-15 so I'm finally getting ready to clean the wheels up. With painting, do you all recommend sandblasting and painting wheels prior to mounting and balance or vice a versa?

I just dropped my wheels off to be blasted and powder coated and I went with some apc 90 or something like that I can't remember the color but I let the wife pick it because she says I'm color blind. It wasn't a high gloss but somewhere between that and satin. They should be finished by next weekend so I'll post some pics and get the right code if anyone is interested. I was going to do the blasting myself and go with the Massey Ferguson as well but with my little sand blaster and compressor combination it took me an hour and a half just to do one side of one wheel. I said screw it and grabbed my wallet. So, $60/wheel x 5 and they'll be good to go for a long while and should look sweet with my new 33x10.50r15 BFG MT's. The Massey Ferguson was quite a bit darker than my original and that made me re-think it as well.

I just came across this post. Was the wheel color ever intended to match the roll bars, jump seat frames and the sheet metal on the back of the front seats?

No match. It appears that different components came from different vendors to Toyota, so there was no effort to coordinate colors between internal components and stock wheels.

73FJ40

I'm going to have the wheels on my 79 powder coated later this year. Once you could see your freshly painted wheels next to the OEM wheel do you still think the RAL 7036 color was the closest match?

I believe the 7036 was the closest to the OEM wheel of all the choices.

In retrospect, however, the 7036 was put on over a white powder coat primer, while the OEM wheel had the gray paint over black primer. I'm wondering if that fact made the 7036 a little lighter.

In any event, the powder coat is darker than the four OEM wheels that were on the truck for years, so I'm good with the 7036

BEAUTIOUS!:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom