FJ vs. LC vs. 4 Runner vs. Ridgeline vs. Xterra (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJCruiserOwnersGroup said:
While a new Land Rover seems to be what you're looking for (without the price point), you might also want to think about a year or two old Land Rover LR3 - it's at the top edge of your envelope, but it is very capable, very nice, and has probably the neatest nav system I've ever seen.

My opinion - stay away from the Rovers unless you've got time (to take it to the shop) and money to burn. The Land Rover service manager told me flat out, the only people who should be buying those cars (the new LR3 and the new RRs) are people who want to look good and can lease it for four years and then get the next hot item. His words! So if you're concidering this price range - just get the Land Cruiser and be happy for a long long time. It'll do everything on your list.

DBS311 said:
Somebody PLEASE join that Ridgeline owner's club and post a pic of what a stock FJC can do.
Why? I'm sure they're happy with their truck, so why go over there just to stir up s***?

I'm a member over there. Joined when I bought my Ridgeline. I didn't post pictures of that truck here.

JJ_SC said:
While a new Land Rover seems to be what you're looking for (without the price point), you might also want to think about a year or two old Land Rover LR3 - it's at the top edge of your envelope, but it is very capable, very nice, and has probably the neatest nav system I've ever seen.
My opinion - stay away from the Rovers unless you've got time (to take it to the shop) and money to burn. The Land Rover service manager told me flat out, the only people who should be buying those cars (the new LR3 and the new RRs) are people who want to look good and can lease it for four years and then get the next hot item. His words! So if you're concidering this price range - just get the Land Cruiser and be happy for a long long time. It'll do everything on your list.
That may be a bit of an unfair statement; Rovers are very capable off road, and they have an excellent warranty. It really sounds like the service manager you talked to really didn't seem to know too much about the rig or the heritage.

That's not to say that FR hasn't had some missteps (I bought a brand new Freelander G4, and while I owned it I drove every other model of LR sold while it was in the shop. Eventually the dealership just gave me my money back).

sticker shock?

one thing original poster did not mention was new vs used and if he had a good heart pump so if he shops new he doesn't drop dead from sticker shock.

GL

having owned quite a few of the models that were proposed i think TLC wins hands down and used fj80's are very reasonable if you shop a bit. but if mpg is the primary concern he might think about some mini's.

That may be a bit of an unfair statement; Rovers are very capable off road, and they have an excellent warranty. It really sounds like the service manager you talked to really didn't seem to know too much about the rig or the heritage.

That's not to say that FR hasn't had some missteps (I bought a brand new Freelander G4, and while I owned it I drove every other model of LR sold while it was in the shop. Eventually the dealership just gave me my money back).

Yeah, I agree, they are great machines if you can keep them running. The LR3 was unstopable (rear locker and all)... until the suspension broke down when I was miles away from pavement. How are you really going to wheel the thing if you're worried about getting stranded by some electrical short? The service guy had been at the dealership a long time, but he was only talking about the new models. I also agree about the warranty, and their service was outstanding. But I'd rather have a truck that runs than a good warranty that I have to use all the time. I drove the Freelander and the old disco and the 6 cylindar LR3 - several times - while my LR3 was in the shop. They have great engineering and design, but they just haven't been able to build them well enough. At least that was my experience - one car, one opinion, take it er leave it. Anyway, probably a discusion for a different thread?

Last edited:
I would say so... but oh well.

I would never own a land rover. A guy I volunteer with owns a disco II and hates it. He has replaced everything on it twice. Waterpumps, tranies, you name it. It only has like 110,000kms on it too. There was another person on this board who had the steering wheel literally fall off their 3 day old 2004 disco after getting it. I'm also unimpressed with Land Rovers off road ability especially since they dont run the camel trophy anymore. Though I've never driven an lr3I had one in our group while offroading once, The IRS & Terrain Response & TC really crippled it. I would put my money on an FJ-cruiser over any LR product any day.

Well, I'm sorta biased but it sounds like you're talking about a nice, lightly used 100...........
Oh yeah, I have an 02 Disco that's gone 50K trouble free miles. But then I have a 98 LC that's seen moderately rugged use and gone 202,000 trouble free miles.................'cept for a fuel pump......

Last edited:
For the ones you list, the 4Runner is the clear pick. It's well appointed, well made, very capable and nice to drive.

The FJC is the hot item right now, but the styling and especially the c pillar will be pretty stale in a few years. It looks like a nice vehicle, but small for a family.

A 2-3 year old Land Cruiser would be an excellent pick, but you have to factor in very poor fuel mileage for the life of the vehicle. It's just the nature of the beast. If you don't mind paying $100 for a tank of gas, it's a great vehicle that will last most of the rest of your life. They are expensive to daily drive, though.

I agree with the posters about a double cab Tacoma. That is less expensive, gets better mileage, and will do the things you want. It would be a very good choice.

Nissans, Rovers and the like are not in the same league-definitely " B" players.

I would not put a Ridgeline on the list-no low range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom