FJ-70 brakes and steering issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

grayfj62turd

SILVER Star
Threads
First - thanks to all who help out on this site!! I'd lose my mind (and more money) without your input!

1989 FJ70LV-MR

OK - first problem: Brakes. Pull hard to the right. I havent looked yet but assuming it needs pads, rotor, caliper, etc - can the pads or rotors be sourced in the US? If not, is there a brake system from another model that would work on my truck? I heard there may be an upgrade from drum to disk for the rear but cant seem to find anything.

Second: Steering. There is about 2-3 inches of play in the steering. Can tis be adjusted or os a new gearbox needed?

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate the help!

Give us more information: What is your frame number? What market is this truck from?

Mainly because front drum brakes were an option for your series denotations.

First - thanks to all who help out on this site!! I'd lose my mind (and more money) without your input!

1989 FJ70LV-MR

OK - first problem: Brakes. Pull hard to the right. I havent looked yet but assuming it needs pads, rotor, caliper, etc - can the pads or rotors be sourced in the US? If not, is there a brake system from another model that would work on my truck? I heard there may be an upgrade from drum to disk for the rear but cant seem to find anything.

Second: Steering. There is about 2-3 inches of play in the steering. Can tis be adjusted or os a new gearbox needed?

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate the help!

Hello,

It would help a lot if you can provide more information.

There is an order form annex -I do not remember the exact name- that you need to fill in order to buy 70 Series parts in the US. Onur / @Onur can help you with that. You can also order from suppliers abroad like PartSouq.

The following assumes your front brakes are disk and your rear brakes are drum.

In old age rotors warp and need replacement. Quite likely pads and calipers are on their way out as well. You may want to take the chance to replace seals and check your Birfield joints. Throw in new wheel studs with the new rotors.

Old rear axle seals fail and cause oil leaks into the brake system, thus reducing braking efficiency. Chances are you have to replace them, and then the brake components. Take the chance to replace the parking brake as well.

Regarding the steering play, there is a procedure to adjust it to proper values in the Body and Chassis manual.

Maximum steering wheel play should be 40 mm / 1.6 in.

In a nutshell, there is an adjusting screw in the steering box. Loosen the lock nut, turn the screw clockwise to reduce wheel play (or counterclockwise to increase it,) check and repeat until you are within specification. Then tighten the lock nut.

See the manual for more details.

Hope this helps.

Juan

Just confirmed - I have drum brakes all around. I don' know if a conversion for the front to disk s worth it unless I can source parts from the US - possibly retrofit from an 80 series or 4runner? The truck is in good shape so I don't know if I want to spend the time or money for a conversion. Just not a fan of drum brakes...but if they work - properly, I can stay with the current set up. When ordering from UAE, when they reference a "kit" is it just for one wheel or both?

Just confirmed - I have drum brakes all around. I don' know if a conversion for the front to disk s worth it unless I can source parts from the US - possibly retrofit from an 80 series or 4runner? The truck is in good shape so I don't know if I want to spend the time or money for a conversion. Just not a fan of drum brakes...but if they work - properly, I can stay with the current set up. When ordering from UAE, when they reference a "kit" is it just for one wheel or both?

Don't get anything from the UAE just yet. You can do a front disc brake conversion using all parts sourced from the US.

1. Call Cruiser Outfitters (@cruiseroutfit ) up and get your front brake components: rotors, pads, calipers, front axle rebuild kit.

2. Call Georg Esterer (@orangefj45 ) at Valley Hybrids in Stockton, CA and get 60 series knuckles and other bits and pieces.

3. Convert your front brakes to disc.

Done.

Hello,

I forgot about Kurt and Georg. My bad.

Do you plan to change the front brakes from drum to disc?

Juan

Best way to approach this is to see what's going on with the steering before tearing anything apart. I'd suspect it's a combination of things that need attention. Start by checking out the TREs, the wheel bearings, spring bushings, make sure the u-bolts are tight and look to see if there's play in the steering box itself. If you turn the input shaft, the sector shaft should move right away. You shouldn't have any play there.
WE have the TRE kits in stock; chances are they're at least one of the culprits.
As for the brakes, I agree with the others ......... switch over to discs. Your best and cheapest solution will be to source a donor axle or vehicle locally. Then get the proper knuckle kit and other components. We have everything in stock to handle this conversion but it'll save you time and shipping expense by buying the rotors, rebuilt calipers and pads locally.
I'll be in Austin in a month, happy to check it out for you.
Georg
Valley Hybrids

Thanks Georg! Please call when you get in and have a few minutes.! 512-656-6567. Rick

Good talking to you Rick, let me know if we can help with anything else.

Georg

Valley Hybrids

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom