Fixen a rusty wheel well.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
??? Well when i uncovered the padding on my rear driver side wheel well i discovered 2 quarter size holes straight through the wheel well. I need to patch and i have some ideas but would like to get some more ideas. What i am thinking of using is fiberglass. Any recommendations?

i would take all that padding out and take a look at all the whole tub and make shure it isint that bad everywhere.. with spots all the way thru it is most likley that you have rust developing around that spot aswell.. if its just that, i would cut out atleast a couple of extra inches around the holes and replace with metal.. if its bad everywhere, consider a tub rebuild or a new tub, in witch case you could use fiberglass or aluminum.. but i dont think there is a good way to just use fiberglass to cover up the hole

Cut out the rust, find good metal, and weld in a replacement panel.

Anything shy of that, will lead to continued sorrow from rust...

Good luck!

-Steve

Oh, and welcome!!

I guess i should of told you this was on my FJ60. I have done some more checking and it seems like its just in that one area. A few years ago my truck was hit right there....probably why its the only place developing rust.

Sharing vital information is always a plus...

Poke around the rust area with a pic or screwdriver, and see how much of the area around it is rotted..

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=11371;start=msg103314#msg103314 date=1076531198]
Sharing vital information is always a plus...

Poke around the rust area with a pic or screwdriver, and see how much of the area around it is rotted..
[/quote]

Did that and the whole area needs to be replaced. And when i say whole area i mean about a 6 inch by 6 inch square.

Welding in new metal is the only way to go.
Especially a wheel well which receives a lot of abuse. (Corrosion speaking of course.)
And it's not visible( I assume). Great place to learn how to weld if you don't already know.
Good luck,
Brog

Weld in new metal. Fibreglass will get beat up from flying rocks. MIG with lots of tacking all the way around works good. Make sure you cut all the rusted metal away or you'll blow through it with the welder.

I agree with cruiser guy. Stick with new metal. But make sure you arent welding good new metal to rusty crap. Cut out all of the rusty part and then weld. RUST SUCKS!!! :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom