Fix for a crack/hole in the headlight? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was cleaning the garage last night and noticed a blurry mark on the passenger side headlight. Upon a closer look, it is a tiny hole and the glass on the inside been chipped (about 1.5" diameter). Almost as if some kid shot it with a BB gun. Wife must've been behind a gravel truck. :doh:

Any fixes for this? I was going to just dab it with silicone sealant, but I'd imagine the headlight gets pretty warm. Not sure what else would work. JB Weld?

I had the same thing happen to my 01 LX. Since the chip was directly in front of the bulb, it impacted the light output.
I ended up replacing the headlight unit which includes both the low and high beam units. I would have liked to replace just the low beam lens, but they are not available, only the whole unit.

I just bought a whole unit on Ebay for $70 in excellent condition. Before that I used some clear silicone and it lasted over two years with no water getting inside. My hole was about 1/8".

Dutchy said:
Try to have it filled or do it yourself the same way as they do with the stars/pits in the windscreen.

these guys seem to have a nice tool for it.

DIY Auto Glass and Windshield Repair Kits - Windscreen Chip Repair Resin Business Opportunities

I actually used to do those windshield repairs, but this is nothing like a crack on the windshield. Those things force resin into the cracks, but on the headlight, it will just pour into the housing. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Thanks for all of the other inputs. I think I might buy a new headlight. If I do, I will definitely put some lamin-x on there.

My headlight has a BB sized hole as well. 3M makes clear stickers designed for protect bicycle frames from cable rub. This is what I've been using, and its worked great so far. Get them from your local bike shop.

I have one of these little holes on a bmw headlight. I put a "temporary"' patch of some 3m headlight protector film over the hole (some 6 years ago) and it is still working well.

Mt patch doesn't look nice up close, but from a few feet it is invisible. If you were to cover the whole headlight it would probably be pretty much invisible.

Pete

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually just picked up a sheet of 3M clear film locally for pretty cheap. I'm going to try it out to see how it works.

I have a similar very dinky hole at 6:00 position, not directly in the beam. Is 3m tape still the going consensus or rtv silcone or something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom