Fiskars (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Granite Grinder

IH8RUST
Threads
The Fiskars was the first raffle prize that I won at a CC meeting!

X2 very good axe. Has held up well these past two camping seasons.

Canadian Tire has a sale on Fiskars gear right now, maybe not quite the same price, but easier than waiting for delivery.

I was camping somewhere years ago and one guy had an axe like item 5 in the attached website, worked amazing on super knotty crap. It has spring loaded wedges along the side.

The Mighty Maul - Maggie's Farm

This looks more like the one I saw.

This splitting axe looks interesting as well. And the tire as a retainer is an awesome idea.

YouTube - Vipukirves slow-motion, part 2

I know were I'm headed tomorrow.....Been waiting for those to go on sale all year. My dad got one and its a great axe!

You might want to check where it's made. Fiskars is a Finnish company. I've seen a lot of their stuff (garden tools, etc) at CDN tire, but it's all made in China.

Now, mine might be made in China too and it's been just perfect for two years so nothing to worry about. If Mat remembers where he bought it two years ago (might have been CDN tire for all I know, I think Mat bought the prizes that month)

If you could check to see what's printed on the head, that would be interesting to see if it says China instead of Finland.

This is what mine looks like:
DSCN2653.jpg

I swear by the Fiskars axe, it would be nice if they made one size bigger for larger things but even at the current size it handles really well and splits logs that normally heavier axes are needed for. When they go on sale it's worth buying. As for the Crovel, I don't know, every time I get an all in one tool you sacrifice something, personally that would be a crappy shovel for any bigger work, would be perfect for hiking trips.
As for other useful tools:
Woodman's Pal Store - Flat Rate Shipping I love this thing, got one, works awesome! the only negative I have to say about it is that the leather case it came in has crappy quality snap buttons that lasted only one season, the "knife" is great! I've actually chopped down a tree that was about 3.5-4" in diameter with a few good swings.
There is this tool:
Hi-Lift Handle-All: 4 Tools In 1 - Full-sized shovel head, sledge hammer head, axe head, pick-axe head with telescoping handle | Hi Lift Jack Company
which I wrote a review about in the Backroader, not bad, needs a couple modifications.
Then there is this:
Max Ax Multi Purpose Tool
which I have been toying with getting just because of curiosity.
One thing to remember is that all of these multi tools in one is like many other things that try to do a lot, pretty good but never as good as the individual, right, tool for the job - why would you use an adjustable wrench when you have a the right size combination wrench?

They do make bigger axes just not brought to Canada I bought 2 of there super splitters at Xmas from there us dist. 27" handle and a 5 pound head. And they now make one with a 30 something handle, mine will split just about anything.

As for other useful tools:
Woodman's Pal Store - Flat Rate Shipping I love this thing, got one, works awesome! the only negative I have to say about it is that the leather case it came in has crappy quality snap buttons that lasted only one season, the "knife" is great! I've actually chopped down a tree that was about 3.5-4" in diameter with a few good swings.

X2, I love my Woodsman. I take it on Mountain Bike Rides to do trail maintenance/clearing. Very useful tool.

I purchased mine here (there is a Lee Valley in Coquitlam near IKEA):

Original Woodman's Pal® - Lee Valley Tools

Larger Fiskars (hmm... I need a new axe for chopping firewood at home...:hmm: )

X27 Splitting Axe-91.4cm (36 in) / Yard and Garden / Products | Fiskars Canada

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-7884-...BAQE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305123330&sr=8-1

Last edited:
Those are suprisingly cheap if made in Finland and the quality is what you guys say it is. Still cant get used to the idea of a plastic wrapped axe head though.

I just carry a good old hickory handle forged steel axe. Found it in the woods when someone with bad aim snapped the old handle and left it behind. I have an old estwing hatchet also found in the woods, works well, holds an edge. But I find I don't need a hatchet very often. Most useful seems to be a chainsaw backed up with a medium sized axe.

I agree with Mat that a multi tool versus right tool for the job rarely works out.

I now carry a splitting maul and chainsaw. I also carry a few wedges to aid in falling and splitting

You might want to check where it's made. Fiskars is a Finnish company. I've seen a lot of their stuff (garden tools, etc) at CDN tire, but it's all made in China.

Now, mine might be made in China too and it's been just perfect for two years so nothing to worry about. If Mat remembers where he bought it two years ago (might have been CDN tire for all I know, I think Mat bought the prizes that month)

If you could check to see what's printed on the head, that would be interesting to see if it says China instead of Finland.

This is what mine looks like:

Was there this morning...all made in Finland from what I saw.

gb

I've got one of these: Kukri Machetes : Fixed Blade (Cold Steel Knives) to play around with at camp. Works great. Cheap. Who cares if you dig, chop, hit, or bend it. It needs sharpening from how it comes (Which I did not do last year). Thinking of getting another as the beater around camp/trail tool for each vehicle.

They take a bit of abuse: ColdSteelKukriMacheteDestructionTest

Here you go for a multi-tool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzpRh-ZE9Mo

An evolution from this I guess: http://www.spetsnaz-gru.com/spetsnaz-entrenching-shovel-1.htm

gb

Last edited:
Fiskars are awesome, great at splitting plus chopping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom