First time owner - Border to border road trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After years of reading, researching, and waiting for the stars to align, I finally own a 100 series. I found it on Autotrader in San Diego and a local forum guy was kind enough to go check it out the next day.

1998, 190k miles, locking rear diff

The seller wasn't sure when the timing belt was last done and there wasn't a sticker, so he dropped it off at The Truck Shop in Miramar (I found it from a thread here on recommended shops) and I flew in the next day to pick it up. They did the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, tensioners, and crankshaft oil seal as well as replaced the cracked radiator. I brought the heater t's with me and he threw those on for me as well

Here it is as I was leaving the shop

AECE8813-7842-42FB-988B-392B05EBB275.jpeg

With a long drive ahead, I stopped in at an audio shop and had them install a Pioneer MVH-2400NEX. I brought my camping gear and took off for Joshua Tree the next day

B5D1B945-4820-4601-BC02-3F924C9AB7F3.jpeg

3C112A95-73ED-4D07-A369-1C41994BC950.jpeg

Last edited:
I made it home Monday night. Spent Tuesday taking off the running boards/frame weight, windshield bug deflector, aftermarket roof rack, cut down the mud flaps, and lubed up the windows. Yesterday, I grabbed the dog and we rounded out the trip by driving to the Canadian border. 1,987 miles total. Today I'm going to change the engine and diff oils

0747D8B4-766D-4297-9A3E-01031F33EF2B.jpeg

Last edited:
As a very recent owner (about 6 months now) of a 1998 LX470, I can tell you did well. That rear diff lock makes her extra special.

This is absolutely fantastic! Sounds like you made the most out of that buying trip!

This is absolutely fantastic! Sounds like you made the most out of that buying trip!

I wanted to spend longer in Yosemite and drive up the Oregon and Washington coast, but I broke my credit card in Yosemite and had to make it the last 1k miles home with Apple Pay and whatever cash I had

Looks like a great trip!!! So you did not take the cruiser to SD Trux you went to a different shop it looks like. Where in Joshua Tree did you stay? I have not been out there yet and it's on my radar for thiw winter.

I wanted to spend longer in Yosemite and drive up the Oregon and Washington coast, but I broke my credit card in Yosemite and had to make it the last 1k miles home with Apple Pay and whatever cash I had

These rigs have been known to break a credit card or two but generally only at fuel stops.

Looks like a great trip!!! So you did not take the cruiser to SD Trux you went to a different shop it looks like. Where in Joshua Tree did you stay? I have not been out there yet and it's on my radar for thiw winter.

It was a lot of fun! Turns out SD Trux was started by the father of the owner of the shop I went to. His dad sold it and works for him now.

I stayed at a tent site about 5 miles from the west entrance that I found on AirBN. Seems like the thing to do out there is build plywood platforms and rent them out to travelers. Mine had a hot shower outside and a real toilet

https://abnb.me/TNR7cZRg6Q

These rigs have been known to break a credit card or two but generally only at fuel stops.

Coming from a Honda Accord, I felt that. I had my card in my front pocket and was climbing up to Bridalveil Falls. Must've committed harakiri after the timing belt invoice and a few fill-ups

Last edited:
Very Nice. Looking forward to seing more pictures and travel stories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom