First post with upgrade pix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Years ago I lurked on this site when i owned a Series 80 Landcruiser but I have owned a 2009 4Runner Limited for several years now and finally upgraded my suspension last Fall.
I chose to go with the Ironman 4x4 3" lift kit and heavy springs as well as the TRD Pro wheels in 17" with 265/70 Toyo Open Country A/T tires. I didn't want to lose my mudflaps and only had to cut away a very small amount of front wheel well plastic so I wouldn't rub. The offset of these wheels is such that rubbing does occur as opposed to the standard 265/60/18 wheels that come standard on the Limited version.

My installer was very impressed with the quality of components from Ironman 4x4 and I was equally impressed when my vehicle handled some rough going on the Alpine Loop in Colorado. So I thought I would just share this experience with all of you and let you know that I have ordered a new roof rack from Sherpa Racks and will give you an update on that once I get it (12 weeks delivery is now quoted).

Attached is a photo of my 4Runner as well as a video here from the Alpine Loop:
2wwzPDS.jpg

Looks great, and enjoyed the video! (is that your brakes squeaking?) How do you like those tires? and why did you opt to go with that size vs a taller tire? Not criticizing, just genuinely curious.

How much clearance do you have? Were you nervous about landing on that rock? I would’ve been.

Looks great, and enjoyed the video! (is that your brakes squeaking?) How do you like those tires? and why did you opt to go with that size vs a taller tire? Not criticizing, just genuinely curious.
I'm not sure if that is my brakes squeaking or the suspension. I don't notice it at any other time. I do like those tires quite a bit as they are quiet on the road and they seem to have a nice sturdy sidewall without being stiff. They also gripped quite well on all road/dirt surfaces. I didn't want a taller tire because I didn't want to cut up the wheel wells any more or have to remove the mud guards. It's my only vehicle and want to keep it as nice and original as I can.

How much clearance do you have? Were you nervous about landing on that rock? I would’ve been.
I can't remember my exact measurements but I seem to recall having roughly 11.5" clearance with this set up. As it's my only vehicle I didn't want to take those drops too fast and risk smashing anything up, so I took it nice and slow. But after seeing the videos I realized that I really had much more clearance than I thought at the time. What you can't tell from the video is how steep some of those slopes actually were, so gravity played a big part in the amount of drop I'd feel when dropping off the backside of some of those rocks. I was jealous of the Razrs and other UTVs up there who could buzz around like it was nothing. But then again they are a different sort of beast than a nicely appointed, comfortable cruiser like the 4Runner. Everything is a tradeoff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom