First drive Lockright in snowpack (1 Viewer)

Snow this morning, and now the roads are snowpacked and slick. Took out my Lockright in the rear 60 this morning. I have BFG MTs which arent the best on ice or snowpack.
The locker is great, dont hear it, dont feel it. Makes the vehicle more stable I think and easier to drive. Comes off of stops smoother too.
The ONLY place I had a problem was when I dropped my daughter off at school, I had to park leaned over. When I pulled out turning hard left with the wheel cranked it would not climb the hill. The rear end kept sliding down towards the curb. It just took a minor adjustment in driving technique to pull out easily (wait for the car in front of me to get out of my way, and pull out at more shallow of an angle).
So all in all, impressed with a rear auto locker on slick roads.

Last edited:

FJnotCJ

SILVER Star
Pssst....don't tell anybody else....but I like the one I have in the front of my 60 also! Works great in deep snow...

Just wondering, when you were sliding around, did you have it in fourwheel drive or just trying out the locker only?

Mace

rock scientist..
Staff member
s-Moderator
Neat new trick for you.

Park with one tire against a rock in the snow, put it in 2wd, gas it and turn the wheel..

Amaze at the 2" turning radius ;)

High Desert said:
Just wondering, when you were sliding around, did you have it in fourwheel drive or just trying out the locker only?

I was in 2H for a while and 4H too. I didnt have any problems at all, and was MUCH better than an open rear in all situations. When I had the problem leaving the parking spot I was in 4H, but the rear end wanted to go downhill pretty bad when I tried to pull sharp out of the spot.

I am posting again because we got more snow and this time the streets were really slick. And I used the 60 to drive to just see. WOW! I cant believe people have said that a Lockright could be dangerous on ice/snowpack. Man I love this, I would even consider doing it to my 4Runner daily driver.

stinkyfj60 said:
So all in all, impressed with a rear manual locker on slick roads.
I'm sure it was an accident, but fyi, it's an automatic locker, not a manual one.

TMAN_FJ60 said:
I'm sure it was an accident, but fyi, it's an automatic locker, not a manual one.

:doh: cant belive i typed that :doh:

Hey Stinky,

Keep us posted on your continuing impressions with the autolocker on snow/ice. I had one for years and really liked it in deep snow, but on ice it would do some spooky things once in a while. I probably could had learned to deal with it but we don't get many chances to practice here in NM.

I'm guessing you should be cautious in corners. Had posi in a Chevy van long ago. Going up Guanella pass from 285 one time I gave it too much gas in an icy hairpin & next thing I knew I was going down the pass.

Locked the rear diff in my Quattro on all-season tires at the last corner up my driveway a couple years ago in heavy wet snow & the rear end almost went off the side.

I'm scrimping for ARBs in my '84 60 but am practicing this chant for the snow: "I will not gas it in corners with 'em locked. I will not..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom