Finding the Grey area!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All!!

So here is the skinny... Does any one out there have personal experience doing a "Grey Market" import of a Japaneese Landcruier?? AKA right hand drive. I have pretty much given up on doing a "totaly" legit import. :( What i am looking to bring in is a 1989 FJ-62. I am a Wisconsin resident if that helps... but am currently stationed in Japan.

Any suggestions would be great.

A few things i want to avoid are...
taking the body off the frame and shipping in seperate containers
spending holy tons of $$$$
having my cruiser crushed
being shot by the new "homeland security" people

A few things i am willing to do...
ship to Canada first
drive a long ways
pay lodging and reasonable expenses ( :beer: and food)for help
be curtious and thankfull.... (not a rude demanding A$$)

I am just lookin to keep my cruiser and am not interested in selling it.

oh... the millitary will ship my vehicle to any vehicle port they just wont help me import a non US spec vehhicle.

thanks

Dan

email me @ THABIGPOOP@hotmail.com with "Import a cruiser" in the subject line so i wont delete it as junk mail.

thanks again

There has been a lot of talk about this. Canada got a lot of nice Cruisers that we didn't. SA got even more. The answer is it's hard and costly to do it right on a late model. Too many restrictions. That being said, I titled a JDM motorcycle fairly easily but bikes don't have emissions testing, crash testing, etc. You might be able to do it on a 62 because they were imported as opposed to a 70 series, but it could be costly.
It can be done. There are some cool rigs out there that did it somehow. Keep in mind the story of a lister that bought a 70 series diesel with a shady grey title. The goverment came and siezed it, then crushed it. He made payments for the next 5 years on a block of steel.

Check the big list (LCML) archives. There has been a lot of discussion about importing grey market from folks who have done the research.

why would you bother to bring in a right hand drive fj62? I mean for the effort you should get a hj61 or a bj73/4 or something unique. Or maybe I read it wrong, do you already have a jap spec 62 in Japan? and what to bring it in?

and yes it can be done, have any Canadian friends? think about it ;)

Yes Mr. landpimp

i do already own it... i got it for $2500.00 it has 113,286km and no rust. It has the safari top and FF rear and cable diff locks... it has 4"springs and 35's on it now. Its my baby and i dont want to leave her :'(..

so are there any canadians who want to make a friend in Japan????

thanks

dan

I spoke at length with a gal from MN this weekend...she was driving her 75-series diesel pickup on a trail ride in N Wisconsin ;)

Her success at importing has come from bringing in vehicles that A> meet/pass US emmissions testing and B> meet/pass the safety requirements, including airbags, ABS, etc. 89 should be old enough to pass those, just not sure on the RHD issue (or if it is one)

I'll PM her and see if she can share her experiences.

Titling may be an issue...however WI does have home-built vehicles (Hobbiest Plates). She did say the biggest issue with Canada border guards is the presence of an engine...pull that, and you can "usually" get across. (However, it is up to the mood of the guy at the post as much as anything.)

Woody!

Thank you for the info... I didn't know about how I was gonna Title it... do you know if there are any restrictions to the Hobbiest plates?? I have been shot down on the RHD issue at all points... unless things have changed ??? the 1989 is on the NTSB list but only if it is LHD.... what a pita. I am originaly from Ettrick WI. (about 35min North of LaCrosse)
please let me know if the gal you spoke with has any hints or good ideas on what i can do.

thanks again

dan

You can check on the WI DOT/DMV site for Hobbiest information. I just retitled my FJ40 as a Hobbiest....it met the 20-year-old requirement. (Collecter was the other option, but it's WAY too modified for that!)

Will keep ya posted.

Does anyone else out there have any INFO??? any help would be greatly appricated (and could also be rewarded with :beer:)

Oh Gumby, sorry for being ingorant but what are the LCML archives... Land Cruiser Mailing List??? and where can i find it???

thanks
dan

Get to know your " Shipper /receiver real good" and stuff it into a shipping container And put it on one of Your Ships... Good luck

i'm in canada but i have no idea how i could help... i'm sure there are a lot of us canadians that are willing to help you

It all depends on the year of the vehicle. Check out the DOT website. They lay it out exaxctly.Best illegal bet would be to get it to CA or MEX and drive it across then title it as salvage or antique using an existing US FJ 62 title. When you read the sites it seems almost impossible to import anything but you wil find that you can do it legally. COntact some of the bonded houses and they wil set you up.

[quote author=Dan_J-spec_fj62 link=board=1;threadid=5962;start=msg48544#msg48544 date=1065586834]
Does anyone else out there have any INFO??? any help would be greatly appricated (and could also be rewarded with :beer:)

Oh Gumby, sorry for being ingorant but what are the LCML archives... Land Cruiser Mailing List??? and where can i find it???

thanks
dan
[/quote]

You Land Cruiser Mailing list archives. It has moved since Woody made the link above. I belive it is now at www.birfield.com
It's in the header of the list posts but I unsubbed. It's mo' betta on the Mud forum. :D

Thanks Gumby,

Is there anyone out there on who has done this?? what is a bonded house... i am really in the "lost babe in the woods" feeling here .... it sucks to feel dumb... i can change a jet engine but i cant ship a truck accross an ocean...

thanks
dan

Dont give up on this venture. Got to be a way to get it here.
At a recent car show/swap meet there was a guy selling imported Jap trucks. They were small and 4 wheel drive and several different models and companies. These were recent--like 90 to present. All were RHD. Seems there was no problem getting them here but a snag in title; didnt pay too close attention to details, but something about offroad use or "farm use".
If I kept the bus card, I will forward the info. The guy should know the loopholes to drive that cruiser through. They are coming into a LA port, and for sale in LA, TX, AR, and MO that I know of at the time.

You only have a few options. Best one is to import legally. Chek out all the DOT and EPA sites and it will tell you if you comply. If you do not comply you must go into a bonded wearhouse that is authorised to get you into compliance. It will be very expensive althought you can shop around for them. Air bags will be you doom. 94 and newer must have them. As long as your truck had them in some market you can retrofit them for a price. A big price. You also must have all current emissions stuff and meet current emissions. Not an issue with most Nippon trucks but depends on year. Contact the bonded wearhouses and see what fees they have.
Much easier is to bring it into Mex or CAN as a tourist vehicle then sneak it into the US

Talk to Henry offline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom