Fender Lights / Marker Lights - Part Number? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My JDM Cruiser just went through the inspection process in my area and a few things turned up. Most of it's straightforward and parts are on the way, however the inspector noted that the marker lights on the fender "need to be amber" and also need to have SAE or DOT markings.. He's annoyingly thorough. With that I can't just buy a Chinese knockoff part.

IMG_20230209_161918_HDR_2.jpg

The problem is, this doesn't seem like a standard part on North American cruisers. A vendor on Ebay has a part number listed as 81731-20192, but Toyota does not acknowledge that this part number is a fit for the Land Cruiser. When I search through Toyota parts websites that comes up as being used for a Toyota Previa..

Capture.PNG

Should I just get them and see what happens? And my other question - Is there a way to remove these from the fender without accessing them from behind?

Thanks!

Just disconnect those. I think the fender turn signals are not required in this year range in North America.

Just disconnect those. I think the fender turn signals are not required in this year range in North America.
I completely agree, the corner lights serve the exact same purpose so the fender lights are redundant..

However in Her Majesties Republic of British Columbia, if the vehicle came with these lights then they need to be amber and they need to blink. It's absurd but I would very likely get the same comment at another inspection place :bang:

Could you just install an amber bulb instead of replacing the entire assembly?

My JDM Cruiser just went through the inspection process in my area and a few things turned up. Most of it's straightforward and parts are on the way, however the inspector noted that the marker lights on the fender "need to be amber" and also need to have SAE or DOT markings.. He's annoyingly thorough. With that I can't just buy a Chinese knockoff part.

View attachment 3244667

The problem is, this doesn't seem like a standard part on North American cruisers. A vendor on Ebay has a part number listed as 81731-20192, but Toyota does not acknowledge that this part number is a fit for the Land Cruiser. When I search through Toyota parts websites that comes up as being used for a Toyota Previa..

View attachment 3244668

Should I just get them and see what happens? And my other question - Is there a way to remove these from the fender without accessing them from behind?

Thanks!
Not sure how it works up your way but I don't think those lights are even required unless you are over a certain width so the color shouldn't matter. Maybe ask him for more details on that foolish rule.

They sell like orange semi-transparent plastic you can cut to size and put in the oem housing if all else fails or maybe just an amber bulb is OK

Well, if it has the clear corner lamp, it needs an amber side marker. I don't know all the little nuances but I know Canadian market 60/70 series had side marker lights from the factory. If the inspector is strict, they could require LHD headlamps and DOT approved windshield.

Well, if it has the clear corner lamp, it needs an amber side marker. I don't know all the little nuances but I know Canadian market 60/70 series had side marker lights from the factory. If the inspector is strict, they could require LHD headlamps and DOT approved windshield.

Bingo. I think this is it - It has clear corners (still Toyota OEM) and even though the corner and fender lights have amber bulbs, there isn't an orange reflector on it. I was actually planning to spray it with some orange laminate or apply some film from laminex but was caught off guard by the comment about them not having "SAE or DOT markings". It's rather ridiculous. Still, $50 isn't too bad all things considered. I already had to buy brand new US spec headlights ($600) because the housings on it are aimed to the left, so they're built to blind oncoming traffic in North America 🤦‍♂️

Also has some standard front end stuff that needs fixing, worn tie rods, a worn wheel bearing, worn steering rack bushings. Not surprising for 150k miles with 2" spacers on it

The original part number is 81731-20191
But 81731-20192 is the superseded part number. Order it.
Thanks for confirming! Do you perchance know of a good way to remove the old ones from the fenders? They're clipped in there pretty good, I can get them out with the hook but it would be brute force and probably bend the sheet metal a bit.

20230211_165901.jpg

That's what be the clip behind looks like. I push the base from the door towards the front and they pop out pretty easy. For what it's worth, all Australian delivered 100's and 105's had them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom