Favorite air chuck? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Personally I don’t see the point in airing all the tires at once? Your air supply can only deliver so much air in any given interval. The only advantage would be to get each tire at the exactly same pressure and that’s pointless on our rigs.

The tires stem/valve is the restriction point for the air flow. Any decent compressor will generate enough air flow for this restriction to be a factor. If you hook up to multiple tires at the same time the over all fill time will be reduced.

Mark...

The sole, single time that I was around a hose manifold that filled all 4 tires at once (I'm making a point of noting the single data point) didn't seem like it was any faster than doing it one tire at a time. It actually felt slower. Maybe that was because we had less to do and were mostly just standing around and maybe that was the reality rather than perception. I didn't time it because I didn't think to time it.

I did make for myself a hose that connected the two rear tires (connected to a Detroit rear diff) to both equalize the tire pressures and to enable re-filling them at the same time. Over many successive uses I abandoned the simultaneous re-filling function as it was not faster to do it that way. That system I did time and re-filling one at a time was faster. Not by some huge factor, but enough. I never dove into why because I really didn't intend to make big study out of it, I was just interested in which was faster. This was using an MV-50 for the compressor.

The tires stem/valve is the restriction point for the air flow. Any decent compressor will generate enough air flow for this restriction to be a factor. If you hook up to multiple tires at the same time the over all fill time will be reduced.
x2. If anybody has had a chance to try Power Tank Monster Valves, they are much faster than regular Schrader valves on both airing up and down. I think ideally, the wheel has two valves, one Monster valve and one standard. Attach pressure gauge to standard Schrader and air up using Monster valve. There are cheaper alternatives.

I purchased this AstroAI Digital Tire Pressure gauge for its stellar reviews but the gauge really reduced airflow. Not sure how it compares to the recommended Jaco air chuck mentioned in this thread.

Received the Jaco inflator that I ordered. The air chuck on it looks a bit cheap, but it works well. The hose is both a bit longer than expected (a bonus!) and more flexible than typical (another bonus!). The supplied air QD male fitting looked like it should work with my Industrial QD's, but didn't want to go all of the way into one of my female QD's. Not a big deal since I order those and the females in small batches. Still to go is to check the gauge against the 1% Full Range NIST certified gauge that I use to standardize all air pressure gauges. So far I'm impressed. For the money it looks like a good find.

One thing to note is that while I didn't see anything saying to be careful with it, the casting around the NPT female threads is not particularly thick. I'd advise against using teflon tape in those pipe threads. Use Lock-tite 545 instead, and only take the fitting up to snug. I know some like to really cinch those pipe threads down tight and I'm pretty sure that if you do this that the housing will crack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom