Events/Trails Fall Camping Trip to Mt. Patterson and Wheeler Peak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tony_Farson

Club President, Battle Born Cruisers
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
battleborncruisers.com
What: Final Camping Trip for 2020
Trailboss: @Tony_Farson
When: Early October, TBD
Where: Mt. Patterson, CA
Meet Up: Walker Country Store, 107700 US-395, Coleville, CA 96107
Travel Times: 1.5 hours to meet up. 4-5 hours to Campsite. 4 Hours off the mountain.
What to Bring: Colder weather camping gear including heaters, food and drink, water for 3 days. HAM radio if you have one tuned to 146.460 for vehicle:vehicle coms.

Details
I will update this post as they develop.

Wheeler Peak is 11,631 feet. I expect it to be cold at night!

This will be at least a two night camping trip, but I am planning on three nights. The plan is to drive in from Hwy 395 up past Lobdell Lake and straight to a primitive "boondocking" campsite (when we find one) near Wheeler Peak on Mt. Patterson. We will camp at that location for the duration of the trip, then descend east to where Hwy 338 turns into Hwy 182 South to Bridgeport where we can refuel before heading home via Hwy 395.

This run is safe for vehicles with a 2-speed transfer case and at least 33-inch A/T tires. Expect desert pinstriping.

For the part of the drive I have done, this area is absolutely stunning and should be more so in the fall. There is a combination of desert and alpine wilderness, multiple water crossings, and some challenging parts of the trail. There are several abandoned mines and ghost town remnants up here and daily exploration in vehicle or on-foot is encouraged.

1597385499400.png

I am leaning toward October 17 or 24 for this one. I think any sooner will be too close to the other club run and won't give folks (me included) time to get supplies for a 3-night camping trip. Let's talk about it on the 10th at the next club meeting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom