1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faint oscillating noise/whine at 65+ mph

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by Hi Trek, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Hi Trek

Hi Trek

Hello all,

I've searched the boards fruitlessly for any information and hopefully someone may have a simple answer before I visit the stealership for further diagnosis.

When I hit around 65mph, my new-to-me '01 LC starts to have a very faint, oscillating pitch and I can't tell exactly where it's coming from.

As my speed increases, the pitch gets higher but the oscillation frequency remains the same. The sound disappears at 80+mph or it could be that the pitch gets so high that I can't hear it anymore. Also, I notice that the sound seems to only appear if I take my foot off the gas; when I step on the gas, the sound goes away.

Downshifting or disengaging the OD has no effect.

Since the pitch changes with speed but not when I downshift, I'm hoping it's not related to the transmission at all and maybe a wheel bearing or tire noise. Definitely not normal, right?

Thoughts or ideas anyone? I've got about 90K on the clock if that helps any.

Thanks a lot for any input.

2. NMuzj100

NMuzj100

Have your front wheel bearings received a repack? (recommended at 90k) If not then a repack with inspection would seem to be the first logical step.